Sacoilliac joint pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys. I have osteoarthritis in my right hip. I did have it in the left one but had a THR 1 year ago. I have now found out I have facet joint arthritis in my lower spine and sacroiliac joint pain plus sciatica. 

I have been referred to a pain clinic for injections. Has anyone else had the injections in the sacroiliac and facet joint, if so if it painful as my doctor said I may need to be sedated before the injection so I am a bit worried about it?? 

Cheers Julie. 🤓

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had steroid injections - not in the same joint as you but in my thumb joint and bottom of one foot for Mortons Neuroma.  Sorry to say they were both very painful experiences.  The injection in the thumb was the worst.  Neither locations had any lasting effect.  The foot one helped for longer but still only a month or so before it was back to being as painful as before.  I would never have them again in the thumbs, very painful area and pain relief lasted about a week.  I also had a couple of injections in my shoulder for ruptured bicep tendons.  The doctor numbed it first so it wasnt painful at all so if they offer to sedate the injection site, accept it,  but there was no noticeable difference in pain, so I decided it wasnt worth bothering again.  I do know they are very helpful to some people, so maybe I was just unlucky.
  • Posted

I’ve had the injections in both of my hips prior to my THRs and those weren’t fun. My friend has had several injections in her back but she never mentioned getting sedated for them. 
  • Posted

HI Julie

I’m 42 and I have arthritis in several place since in my body including my hips. I wanted to ask how long it took to get a THR since your symptoms began in your hip and how does it feel now? My mum had a THR at age 55 but I want to know other people’s experiences. Im really scared 😟 of this for being so invasive!

• Posted

Hi Leni. 

I waited 13 years before I had my hip replaced because I didn’t have to courage to go through with it, but when I did go for it, it was took about 2 months from requesting it to the operation date, and I must admit, it is the best thing I had done. The pain I had was gone instantly and it does take a few weeks to recover but you will be so happy that you did do it. As you will probably know, they have you up and walking the day after the op and it just gets better from that day. I hope you don’t leave it too long to get it done though because you will need a lot of physio to regain the strength in the leg again. 

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.