Sacrohysteropexy

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am nearly 5 weeks post op form a uterus prolapse and had a sacrohysteropexy procedure. The surgeon reassured me that the mesh used and how it was performed abdominally with laproscopic keyhole surgery there was no risk of erosion etc into the vagina. Has anyone out there had this procedure? It would be nice to talk to someone who has had this procedure too.

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My advice will always be to avoid this operation, I am disgusted by the completely inaccurate statistics that have been given to patients regarding the risks of this operation. The truth is starting to come out now - and will be made more clear in the near future due to a nationwide audit of all patient data. 

The risks of this procedure far outweigh any benefits..and things can happen years down the line, mostly after two years - unless this polypropylene mesh is inserted incorrectly, in which case complications can happen immediately. 

Mine will be removed - and that is a way more complicated procedure, and the same will happen to several other women I am in communication with - who had this operation even more recently. Joining the Sling the Mesh Facebook group is one of the best ways to equip yourself with knowledge.

• Posted

I’m 8 years after TVT mesh my sister in law is 10 years we are both fine and so is her sister. 
    • Posted

Hysterectomy is a huge op and messes up your hormones I wouldn’t have it. I have never had 1 organ removed from my body. I take zero meds and eat real food - giving my body a chance to be natural - I believe this to be the way forward by not eating sugar wheat cereals  processed foods etc 
    • Posted

I would again advise to please please join the Sling the Mesh Facebook group for accurate and continually updated information and advice.

Equip yourself with the facts, by that I mean Independant studies - not those linked to the Pharmaceutical Industry/Manufacturers..or Medical Practitioners connected to them.

The advice is overwhelming, the statistics for mesh damage are changing before your eyes - do not trust what you are told, Always always carry out Independant research.

By the way, I am also a firm believer in Natural Health at every turn. I don't take any pharmaceuticals, not even for a headache..have only had one operation in my life. Yes, we can heal ourselves... but not when overwhelmingly compromised by a polypropylene implant.

• Posted

Thank you Libby I have joined the group and will certainly be doing lots of research 
    • Posted

What do you suggest if women have not got the option of this surgery Libby? 

I couldn’t walk.  I could walk my dogs, I couldn’t go to the loo properly, sex was non existent and I was pushing my bladder back up through my vagina 10 times a day.  I was finished.  

• Posted

I completely empathise with you...it's totally incapacitating, I also couldn't even walk my son to school - a situation which become practically impossible to live with, so surgery felt like the only option. If I went back to that stage again, I would have asked for the old fashioned stitching method to hold everything in place, which is what I have since discovered some surgeons prefer - as mesh holds too many risks. I also avoided a hysterectomy, as I was resistant to having my uterus completely removed at the time- and was aware that other organs could prolapse easily when unsupported. 

My surgeon didn't even mention the stitching method, just gave a straight choice of hysteropexy or hysterectomy. Even knowing the implications of the latter,  in retrospect I would have preferred something taken out,rather  than this plastic mesh implanted..no question.

If I had been given accurate information, anywhere near what I have now uncovered....I would certainly never have consented to the procedure.

• Posted

Dear Libby 

I’m sorry you are suffering and I hope you find a solution and fast, it seems that some people reject foreign implants. I can’t see why it why it works on some and not others. May I ask where and who did your surgery? 

My surgeon had a fb page with lots of testimonials and one lady was able to have a second child after sacrosexcopy, they said it was a big breakthrough in this field rather than lose organs. If your mesh was ok you would be praising it and this forum would be positive- I was also VERY concerned about things going right - wrong and my friends & family said think positive and don’t read those forums where their are bad stories. I get what you are trying to do, there is a risk but it’s one I’m

Glad I took. Again I hope you find the right surgeon to help you. I’m

Very curious to know if we had the same one. It seems that on this forum some are afraid to mention names of hospitals / surgeons - why would that be?

Wishing you well again. xx 

• Posted

Joining that Facebook group you will see all the people that have had problems - and the gory photos. My friend sent me a link I said no I’m having the surgery as I have no choice. 

Look at the positives not the negatives.

[b]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2347613/Me-operation-Tiny-sling-correcting-uterine-prolapse-spares-women-trauma-hysterectomy[b].html

Libby who did your surgery  and where?

• Posted

That is an extremely damaging article, and needs to be removed. It presents an utterly deceptive picture of sacrohysteropexy using polypropylene mesh. Follow it up after ten years, or do not be influenced by such a superficial account.

I am in no doubt that this procedure will at some point be banned, as the evidence will force the issue forward - as infact has already recently happened in New Zealand, and partially in Australia. The legal action will be overwhelming, and this particular instance of health over wealth will be stopped.

I actually know of no-one who would willingly go forward with this operation after confronting the evidence, and given that it is banned or suspended in other parts of the world. 

For the sake of anyone else reading this post, join Sling the Mesh.

• Posted

Wealth over health!
    • Posted

Here's one of the best studies I've found following sacrohysteropexy outcomes (>10 years) and in this cohort there was no evidence of mesh exposure which is promising:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28101639

Important factors generally seem to be surgeon skill and experience as well as mesh type and pore size, additionally those placed abdominally carry much less risk than vaginally, which is what has been banned elsewhere.

I'm all for a researched and informed approach but I think it's important to understand all opinions.

• Posted

This article gave me the confidence to go ahead and I have now got my life back Libby. 
    • Posted

Hi Libby I have joined sling the mesh and will definitely not be having ANY mesh in my body I cannot believe the pain and suffering these poor women have to endur after surgery and some are left completely disabled...I know some have had very successful outcomes from the surgery but for me my personal choice is not to have mesh I will take my chance with traditional surgery thank you for pointing me in the direction of sling the mesh 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.