Sacrospinous hysteropexy sutures removed and still in pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Due to persistent excruciating pain in my buttock I had my sacrospinous hysteropexy sutures removed yesterday (4.5 weeks post op) I'm in so much pain today, doubled on pain meds. Buttock pain remains.. anyone had to deal with suture removal? The weird thing is that prolapse is not back.. doctor says because we fixed rectocele my uterine prolapse looks better now. I really don't care about prolapse now and just want to be pain free...

I hope that I will be able to recover from this eventually... I'm so sad and desperate to get better now.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's unusual for sutures to be removed so early because it can prevent healing and therefore infection can be a risk. Antibiotics are usually prescribed in these cases.

• Posted

Thanks Matron,

My doctor suspected sciatic nerve pinching as my pain was getting worse every day. I did not feel any pain relief after suture removal. I feel very weak and I'm in terrible pain now, my whole buttock area is sore and burning, especially deep inside next to my coccyx. They had to reopen some of the rectocele scar to get into the ligament so this probably adds to my pain... My doctor called me today and I just supposed to wait and take pain meds for now.

If this pain doesn't subside I don't know what to do next...

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Sciatic nerve pain is excruciating, I suffer from it because of a back problem. I do wonder if you have an infection so if there's no improvement in the pain after the weekend I personally would suggest that to my doctor. If you have pain from the sciatic nerve area lie on the edge of the bed on the opposite side to the pain and lower the painful leg over the side of the bed, let it hang there for about 20 seconds then repeat a few times. See if that helps x

• Posted

My pain is very localized to my buttock,both the inner and the outside bits, close to the hip joint. It feels like burning, stabbing pain.. Groin is ok. It is worse when lying down and standing/ walking relieves the pain. Sitting is v bad at the moment as I had surgery yesterday so it's hard to say. Is that sciatica or some other nerves? I will definitely try some pelvic floor PT, I did some that before my surgery. Maybe that will help.

• Posted

Hi Marie.

So sorry to hear about your terrible pain. Hope you feel better soon. My experience was a bit different than yours. I had hysterectomy and bladder repair. I also suffered pain and had sutures removed that didn't dissolve. Once sutures came out pain resolved. Hope that happens for you

• Posted

Thanks Mary,

I went to the ER, they kept me for a day and did an MRI, turns out I have sciatic neuritis. They gave me gabapentin and I will see PT. Its weird because apart from this sciatic pain I also have this ongoing pain next to my coccyx, inside (I think it's where the ligament is). I don't see any change after suture removal. I'm 5 weeks post surgery and 5 days post suture removal... maybe things will improve gradually. I also have a lot of rectal pressure... Where was your pain located exactly?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.