Saddle embolus

Posted , 2 users are following.

After 6 months of ill health, weakness and breathlessness I got the following diagnosis.

Saddle embolus involving the proximal right and main left pulmonary arteries with extension into and near occlusion of several segmental branches of the lower lobes bilaaterally also involviment of the lingula, the right ventricle is non-dilated

I spent three days in hospital and I have been sent home today  wiith Rivaroxaban.

Having read the full diagnosis on my discharge sheet I am very anxious

about the future. Has anyone had this and survived.

I have GCA/PML, steroid induced hyperglycemia, stage 3 kidney damage,

hyperthyroid, and Non-Hodgkins lymphoma in remission.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes my mum had a saddle embolus about 18 months ago. She ended up having clots in both her heart and lungs. She has recovered very well and is still a little breathless but almost back to her usual routine, although permanently on the meds (she had a previous one 35 years ago). Take it easy and give yourself time - I'm sure if you are sensible you will be ok. Hope you get better soon!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't know anyone who has had a pulmonary embolism and I had a shock when I read the diagnosis at home. I did ask the doctor on the ward how big it was and he made light of it and said size doesn't matter as they are treating it so I wasn't expecting the scarey details.

I am 71 and I have been on high steroids for GCA for the last 4 months. I wasn't improving regarding the GCA so they increased the steroids rather than decreasing them.

I had a subclavian thrombosis about 16 years ago but that seems a minor one compared to this.

Thank you for your kind words and quick reply. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.