Safe target under 5mg/dl or under 3mg/dl?????????

Posted , 3 users are following.

I see some posts saying that under 3mg/dl blood uric acid levels are the "NEW" safe level for Gout patients. I have been on 300mg Allopurinol for 10+ years with no side effects and 0 Gout attacks. I am 46 years old and have always been active and super fit. Vegan 20 years too!!!! Talk about Gout being cruel!!! lol

I thought the "older" under 5mg/dl was the safe level? Where did this new info of under 3mg/dl being the new safe level come from? Any links?

My GP last week told me to stop taking 300mg Allopurinol and reduce to 100mg Allopurinol or my kidney will get damaged. My kidney numbers are normal! Isn't higher blood uric acid levels that will damage my kidneys and cardio health?

So I am not convinced about reducing my 300mg Allopurinol to 100mg/dl but I want to point some research in my GP's direction

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

1 Your GP is wrong assuming that you dont have kidney disease. most gout patients are on 300 mg.

2 The target isbt new in that its at lesst five years old.

3 if you search for NICE you can go and look at the patient advice AND the advice to doctors. That is the advice dictors are supposed to follow.

4 Ask to see a rheumatologist and get an expert opinion begore making any change woukd be my advice for what its worth.

• Posted

Can Allopurinol damage kidneys - long term?

• Posted

Can Allopurinol damage kidneys - long term?

I was under the impression that it won't and it might actually help, as long as you drink enough water. My GP says anecdotally it may damage as one of his patients has some issues. Although the patient might have ignored his gout for long time or might have other issues contributing so not sure what to believe.

My blood uric acid levels are in the 4.2 mg/dL range. So good according to the old safe range but not according to the one rustygecko is suggesting. So if I go from 300mg daily dosage to 100mg, it will definitely push my level in the wrong direction even for the old range, and that is definitely not good for kidney or heart or joints or muscles or tendons!!!!

My GP is suggesting 7mg/dl as normal (as that is what it says on the lab report for normal people level), we have Gout so we are not normal people! Which is why I won't chnage to under 300mg.

• Posted

You want to tell your GP to cut out "anecdotes", along with crystal healing and blood letting. Tell him or her to stick to science, research and statistics and not her hunches.

There is research showing that allopurinol doesnt damage kidneys (maybe they should spend more time reading the medical literature).

Imho you should get referred to rheumatologist and change GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.