Safety critical workers medical

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all 

I have to have the above medical in a few weeks time, I'm a bit worried because I have mild cops, has anyone been in this situation. They do a spirometry test 

any advice would be great ( or should I just stop working ) 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Safety critical workers medical, I think you probably need to ask your employer or other employees about what that involves.

You ask about a spirometry test, its no big deal for someone with mild COPD - Just wondering how you got a diagnosis without having a spirometry test.?

If you are feeling unwell, not well enough to work, talk to your GP who can advise you.

• Posted

If you're in the States you'll want to work as long as you possibly can as length of work at highest earnings hugely impact any disability &/or pension. (Then there's the psyche-emo side ,, )

• Posted

Hello Paul,  I think we need more information.  Age, smoker, asthma, copd, just how long have your symptoms been going on?  General information would be helpful.  However, the spirometry test is a no brainer.  You will have several different ones.  Blowing into a computer tube, or being inside a tube.  It depends on whether you are seeing a pulmonologist or a respiratory therapist.  I don't know if you are in the U.S. or where in the world, but make sure you get a good Pulmonologist and a Great Internal Medicine who will keep each other informed of what is going on with you.  I keep a folder with all my tests, the results, the prescriptions and all hospitalizations in it, so that at an given time the can see what I have been through.  I find it much easier than trying to keep it in my head.  I also record my doctors appointments on my telephone, Video them, so if I get confused or my husband isn't with me, I can just play it  for him or the other doctors if they haven't gotten reports.  So, there are several things you need to get prepared for.  The tests are a breeze so don't fret those.  Just get yourself prepared for whatever may be a new adventure and journey in life.....You have a lot of living to do.

• Posted

Thanks for all the replays 

I'm 50 years old, X smoker , yes I have had four s/test done in the past 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.