Salads or Veges cause gallbladder pain? Anyone?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I still have my gallbladder.  I know I have sludge and some gravel stones.  It acts up occasionally and then I may go months with no pain.  But, it always seem to act up after eating salad.  Does this happen to anyone else?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I can't tolerate any salad at all but I also have IBS .

Lettuce is very harsh on the digestive tract .

• Posted

I'd forgotten... but before surgery yes! One if the worst biliary colic episodes I ever had was after salad.

• Posted

Hi my husband also had 2 gallbladder attack, on second attack we advised to have his gb remove but we declined, we went home with oral antibiotic as hi gallbladder was inflamed but still functioning, many doctors advised to have it removed, also a close friend of mine who is a doctor too advised to get rid of his gallbladder as it is more dangerous for sepsis or it can affect to neighboring organ like pancreas. His last attack was March 12 this year, we agreed to stick with no fat or very less fat diet, we are on the process of gallstone flush that one of my friends advised us. Since his last attach he did not any pain at all because he is so motivated to follow his diet, more fiber, no fats to very less fats, no fry food, we changed it to bake and boil. We are goingvto try to flush this stone but its a long process hopefully it will work but we will try our best, if not that is the time I go for GB removal.

In your case I think its not the salad that triggers the pain, its the dressing. Some said lettuce increase bile production too but I think the salad dressing is the culprit. Hopefully we all get better.

• Posted

Thanks.  I don’t feel so alone now.  I usually only put balsamic vinegar on my salads (no oil). Or very little of any other dressing.  I’m wondering if it has anything to do with that lettuce stimulating it?  It just seems every time I try to eat something healthy it acts up. I can eat a piece of pizza or a burger and it doesn’t bother it
    • Posted

It's weird how it can be different foods that cause issues for different people. There is no one size fits all it seems.

I ended up with only about 5 things I could eat for 2 years pre surgery. Post surgery salad is fine in fact everything is fine totally normal diet... apart from boiled sweets and it's easy to live without those smile

• Posted

Could be the balsamic vinegar, anything acidic isn't good .

• Posted

I know its a torture for not eating your favorite food but thats how it is, I feel sorry for my husband when we will have dinner he has his own kind of food, not allowed to eat his favorite steak. But we are still hoping that his stone will get rid in a natural way, I know based on doctor's view that natural flushing is very low percentage of success and it will come back in a long run. He will going to have his flush in next week after his 2 weeks strict diet then we will go to naturopath for a diet guide. Ill give some update about the result cos we will have another ultra sound after the flush to find out if its working.

• Posted

If you have small stones that are cholesterol based then why not research Ursodioxycholic acid as I did and dissolve them ?   Ist talk to a chemist who willl give you cofidence that I am truthful and not a 'story teller'(LIAR)

• Posted

Thank you.  I will definitely research that and consider it
  • Posted

I’ve had the same diagnosis although my pain is pretty much daily rather than every few months, food in general (no matter what I eat at this point!) causes a problem, i’m being referred to a surgeon but I do recall getting a dodgy stomach with lettuce in the past! Cooked vedge is always better than raw - it’s easier on your gut smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.