Saline Infusions to Treat ME/CFS?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone here ever used a saline solution infusion (IV) to treat their ME/CFS? Or heard of this treatment? Last week, I had eye surgery. Before the surgery, I'd been in a pretty severe relapse for 3 months. I could barely even talk. I had a saline drip before the surgery. After the surgery, I noticed I was feeling a lot better. This, in spite of a grueling schedule the day of the surgery. Right after the surgery, I was feeling well enough to go to a restaurant. My POTS and neuropathy were greatly improved. Now, a week later, I'm still feeling better and have been able to get out every day. I started doing research online, and found that this treatment has been discussed in some research, most notably by Dr. David Bell, who is very well respected here in the U.S. A saline infusion has very little risk--especially when compared to drugs like anti-virals. I do realize, however, that ME/CFS has its ups and downs no matter what you do. I could not find much information on saline infusions. I wonder if this is because this treatment would provide no income to drug companies.What do you guys think?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Its used in the treatment of POTS but not ME.. they do it alot in the USA,, but harder to get anyone to take it seriously here in the UK. alot of POTS suffers es swear by it to help manage symptoms.
    • Posted

Interesting. I think it's logical that the treatment would help POTS. But my ME symptoms have also improved since the infusion. My constant sore throat is gone. My neuropathy is much better, as is my general fatigue. But I'm always very skeptical about cause and effect with this illness. It's so hard to link the two, since the illness naturally fluctuates a lot. I think, though, that it couldn't hurt to talk to my doctor, give another infusion a try, and see what happens. There's almost no downside to exploring this treatment.

• Posted

IM pleased that you have found something that helps. I have found that there is alot of overlap between the ME and the POTS.. it could be that symptoms you had put down as mainly a ME issue where actually more POTS related which is why you are getting some improvement. I had the same issue with the nerve pain.. My doctor put it down to ME.. which im sure it does figure in that, but it has turned out to be more a POTS an menopause issue. Im also sure there is a knock on affect between the conditions, so when one gets worse it makes the other symptoms get worse also, so again you would get improvement by helping one condition.  Like you say , there seems to be little downside to saline , its just hoping that your doctor will get on board and embrace the treatment also for a period of time to see if you can see some improvement across the board  smile
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

?I'm glad your eye surgery went well and that you are feeling a bit better. I haven't had experience of a saline drip but I have heard that increasing salt in your diet can sometimes help the symptoms of ME/CFS. I used to hardly eat any salt thinking I was being healthy but started increasing my levels a bit and feel I felt slightly better. I have a friend with ME who felt she improved a bit too when she increased the levels of salt in her diet. I also used to have low blood pressure and frequent dizzy spells and think this could partly have been caused by too little salt in my diet. I think if your adrenal glands are exhausted increasing salt can help this too. Don't suddenly start having loads of salt though or it could lead to high blood pressure.

Enjoy your relief that the surgery is over and your spell of better health - long may it last!!!

?Elaine  

• Posted

Hi Jackie,,

That's great news re: feeling an improvement as i know prior to the eye surgery you were really struggling with symptoms. I hadn't heard of salt improving symptoms at all before reading this post. I wonder if it is the minerals in the salt that help, who knows but, improvements are improvements atvthge end of the day!

Hope your doctor is able to see the benefits of saline in your case.

Best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

I dont know if Epsom salt has anything to do with saline or not , but a hot epsom salt bath really helps me feel the best out of all my regimens. That and a good 8 hours + of sleep. I may have had a saline drip when i was in the ER a couple years ago for heart pain. The nurse said my bp was kinda high when i got there so she gave me something to lower it. My POTS wasnt diagnosed yet. So my bp went too low. She explained why she was giving me the iv and what it was ,but i forget. Im guessing saline since it raises your bp. I dont recall a change in how i felt, for one i had zero sleep that night plus my heart was still hurting. I was on beta blockers for it , but this worried me as it woke me from my sleep. It still does bother me if i do too much. Glad it helped you! I may try it again!
  • Posted

I definitely find I’m having less “bad” and “crash” days having now upped my water intake .. some days I’m drinking between 3 and 4 litres a day but as long as I’m staying hydrated my symptoms are softer, less noticeable and more bearable. Hope this helps. 

Meg, 20, 6months in without diagnosis. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.