Saliva test for T3

Posted , 4 users are following.

Do you think a saliva test for T3, which reflects the free concentration at the tissue level and is not confounded by protein binding, would be helpful?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've never heard of this test. I assume you'd have to pay for this yourself? Newer technology often has no truly been well tested, so the reliability and usefulness can be questionable.  I wouldn't fork out the money. Unless you have unlimited funds to throw at the illness, running  a million tests on after the other is not an effective approach. If you had money or coverage for such tests, the most wffective way to run them is all at once, then again after a set time period to see whether they change. Unfortunately, the way we run tests is not efficient, as running one after the other at different times adds huge variation and unreliability when trying to look at results as a whole.

My experience with tests is that they're only as good as the technology and the interpretation, and most don't tell you what they're supposed to, or have a huge unreliable factor. (Antibody tests have a 50% false negative for example, all the thyroxin tests rely on ELIZA and other antibody testing methods, which frankly can be  very finicky). I've found testing in general to be less effective than clinical examination and observation of symptoms. The best use of tests being as a general guideline.  Besides the blood tests, an ultrasound is often fairly helpful, as it can tell you whether you have thyroid cysts, their size, and what sort of composition they are, as well, as comparison of growth over time.

You're better off spending the money on trial and error of treatments you can do on your own, alternative treatments, TCM, herbs, good quality food.

• Posted

This website gives a good accounting of the pros and cons of thyroid blood tests and saliva tests. It doesn't go into detail on each type of test. It might help you understand the limitations of testing.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thank you all for your input.  I develop saliva tests for pesticide exposure so I'm aware of the pitfalls and need for concurrent blood confirmation testing but have found no reliable alternative options for thyroid hormone measurements (saliva or urine).  Just curious to see what's available.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.