Salivary gland infection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there I had an ear infection a few weeks ago or though I thought. Then followed tooth/gum ache. I went to the dentist as antibiotics didn't work from doctor and dentist said nothing to be seen from X-rays. However I saw an ENT doc briefly and told me I had a salivary gland infection. I'm taking cephalexi at the moment and although the teeth and ears are settling my mouth is so dry and can't seem to get the saliva flowing even drinking lots of water sad can anyone help. Advise on what I can do to help this? Sometimes feel as though throat closing up and scares me. Will go back doctors if doesn't clear after antibiotics.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa33471. I had my saliva glands removed because of stones. I was told because I suffer with dry mouth a lot to use Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste. They also have lozenges. It really helps.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for your advice. Will definitely try them. When can I get them? How do u know when u need them removed? Is the dry mouth all part of the symptoms 😕
    • Posted

You can find Biotene at any drug store or food market.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa 33471

I have a very very dry mouth and I use BIOTENE gel. It really does help. Hope things improve for your very soon xx

• Posted

Thankyou so much. Someone else recommended those too smile will get some ASAP. Are u ok or have u had to have glands removed? Scares me if have to have that done 🙈
    • Posted

Hi Lisa I had salivery gland cancer on one side so had no option but to have it removed. Worst is at night when I wake up and can hardly swallow.

I clean my teeth just before getting into bed and keep my BIOTENE at the side of my bed.

I do hope you don't have to have yours removed. But after 18 months there is a slight improvement.

• Posted

Oh no sorry to hear that sad how do u know when it gets to the point where u have to have them out? Can u just get dry mouth as a symptom without it getting any worse? 🤔 Hope u are improving more each day smile
    • Posted

Hi Lisa

I had a small lump behind my ear but after a few months the side of my face went numb.

I had a scan then 4 weeks later I was in hospital.

Radiotherapy for 30 times and just enjoying life now x

• Posted

Ah no. Sorry to hear that. Is everything ok now? I can't really tell to be honest whether it's a dry mouth or throat! Daft as it sounds but if got infection in saliva glands this maybe normal. I just hope it settles. Had antibiotics for 5 days, another 5 to go. I also had an endoscopy the weekend so I am just hoping that if anything was wrong that would have picked it up? 🤔
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I started getting dry mouth after my saliva glands were removed.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, I didn't have saliva gland cancer.  I have multiple stones in my glands and they could not get them out, so I had to get my glands removed.
    • Posted

I hope the op wasn't too troublesome for you sad wht were your symptoms. I don't like looking in the Internet cos u read all sorts 🙀
  • Posted

Lisa33471, my symptoms was pain in my jaw area, including behind my ears. Pain when I tried to ear or laughing opening my mouth too wide, constant swelling. It felt like a tooth ache sometimes. Near the end the swelling was very large and hard to the touch. Very painful. It took my doctors 3 months before they realized I had stones in both of my major glands. 
  • Posted

I meant to say pain when I tried to eat.
    • Posted

Well I hope it's all sorted now and u don't have any further problems sad

Yes I've had pain in my jaw, toothache (so I thought) ear pain but I've been told no ear infection and that its gum/salivary gland infection. I'm just hoping antibiotics will clear it. If not I'll go back if it's not right.. My neck has been kind of aching too but don't know if that's connected 🤔

I hope u feel a lot better now. Must have felt relief after the op smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.