Salofalk granules & hair loss?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, anyone on Salofalk granules and noticed hair loss? Been taking Salofalk granules 1 sachet daily & Pred foam enema since November for flare up but not improved. Noticed hair coming out My hairdresser said it's breaking off. Really worried & wondered if anyone had this side-effect. Gastro appt not til February. Thx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes my hair has been thining for a while now and I know it is due to salofalk. .In fact I have bought a wig already. very sad as I had lovely thick hair.I have suffered since september, and I am no different now.

• Posted

Hi my son has UC and suffered with hair thinning with meds, I did some research and found  vitamin B complex especially biotin helps alot. He takes it every day and you cannot overdose on it as the body excretes what it doesnt absorb.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Barbara, lost my hair 5 yrs ago having chemo and couldn't face that again especially as the Salofalk have not improved my flare up. Has it helped with your symptoms? I'm going to contact my Gastro Nurse and see if I can change my medication as not got Gastro appt til Feb. Hope you don't need to wear a wig and the vitamin B helps. I'm going to try it!

Hi Sheila, thanks for your letting us know about the Vitamin B complex where do you buy it? I had been told hair thinning might be due to vitamin deficiency & malabsorbtion with flare up. Trying to remember to take a daily vitamin tablet but I'll look into Vitamin B complex. Hope your son is doing well.

• Posted

No it's not helped yet. But it has only been 2 weeks so will give it a month. last week I had diareah and had 3 accidents Thrown knickers awa,y   tights,  and even a rug.. isn't that sad.You lie in bed after getting up about 6 times then suddenly without warning.it's gushing out and by the time I get to the bathroom from the bedroom is all gone all over.I dont think I will ever come to terms with this!!!! going to get some vit b thoigh..

• Posted

So sorry to hear that Barbara you must be feeling very fed up. Have you got an IBD nurse you could ring? They should be able to give you some advice. I can email mine and she rings me back. I've been told to go to AED if symptoms are that bad but that's the last place you want to be especially if it's a long wait. What about speaking to your GP? Has the diarrhoea settled yet?  I know Gastro Drs don't advise Imodium but you need to watch you don't get dehydrated. This is a horrible disease and no-one can understand how upsetting it is unless you have it. It's not something you can bring up in conversation! I'm finding this site really helpful. People mean well and try and advise but only close friends and family know I have it. I did have a few years with no symptoms until few months ago and am trying to be optimistic that this flare up will clear up. Has anyone mentioned food intolerance? Do you think any food makes flare up worse? One Gastro Dr told me to try dairy free to see if that helps. I put it off as I love milky tea and lots of it but this week I'm trying lacto free milk as getting desperate. Not been given any dietary advice by hospital and I have read UC not dietary related. Perhaps it might be worth seeing if any food is making you worse? I was advised to eat white processed bread, white pasta etc and no fibre if I had diarrhoea have you tried that?

Hope you are feeling bit better. Going to get vit b too let me know if it helps. Hope so.

I hope you're feelng a bit better

• Posted

Barbara, has anyone told you about Chron's and Colitis UK? It's an organisation which is really helpful the website is http://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/ When you join you get quarterly newsletters and also a 'Can't Wait' card that you can show in shops if you need to use their toilet in a hurry.  There are also booklets/publications you can download. I find it really helpful especially for the 'Can't Waiit' card I keep in my purse!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.