Salt?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello All. If you have read my previous post, you will know that the doctors disagree if I have Meniers or not. Regardless I have been trying to follow a low salt diet. But it doesnt seem to change my symptoms or cause an attack when i have salt. I was out this week and must have had 5000 mg of salt. It was asian food and alot of it. I also had one drink and it was noisy. I didnt notice a significant chage in symptoms. So my question is, how soon after eating salt do you have an attack or feel a change in symptoms? Thank you in advance for your answers. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear SD1975,

For me, I always experience a lag time of 3 or 4 days.  Whether it's a change in my salt intake, or dehydration, or drinking more than normal...it seems to take that long to "register" with my inner ear and cause symptoms.  

I hope you escape from the aftermath of a salty night out!!  You never really know....Eveyone is different.

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

For me, salt will cause symptoms within 24-36 hours.  If you have absolutely no symptoms within a reasonable time (few days) you may not have MD.  MD symptoms are normally caused by excess fluid in the inner ear...and salt causes fluid retention.  Are you taking a diuretic as part of your MD management?  If so, the salt retention is likely to be less than if you do not take a diuretic.
    • Posted

So 6 days later I have no symptoms and I'm not on a diuretic. My ent said only a small amount of MD sufferers are sensitive to salt. Not sure what to think anymore 

• Posted

I've not noticed salt having any effect on me , my attacks can be bad for months then good for months regardless of my salt intake . If I feel the slightest bit giddy now I take a travel sick tablet and it goes away in minutes . I haven't had an attack for 6 months now wish I'd new about the tablets earlier x

• Posted

Hi everyone

Despite its being widely recommended, there has been little actual proof that a low salt diet helps MD.

The Cochrane organisation is going to undertake a 2 year trial to compare restricted salt diets to no restrictions. They will also compare restricted alcohol and caffeine with no restrictions.

At the moment there is only a protocol for the study online as it will take some time before it's finished and the results studied, but it will be interesting to see the results.

You should be able to find it if you google

Restriction of salt intake and other dietary modifications for the treatment of Ménière's disease or syndrome.

Or I could private message you a link.

• Posted

Thanks Misti. Salt didnt effect me. I also saw another post recently about hot/humid weather and how that causes people symptoms to increase. My ears actually feel better in hot weather. Cant seem to understand the diagnosis. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.