Salt Cave Theraphy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everybody

I have dreaded bronchiectasis, together with psudomonas A. I take twice daily dose of salt by inhalation (0.9%), plus antibiotics and combivent. Somebody recommended that a few visits to Salt Caves might be useful (they are springing up all over the place).

Has anybody tried these, or are they another fad?

Best wishes to everybody!

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sparkright

I don't know if they have Salt Caves in the UK but there is one I know of in Turkey and there are benches in it for people to sit for a time to breathe in the air. It is renowned for helping people with breathing problems. I am very interested in hearing more about this. They are certainly not a fad over in Turkey as the one I went in had been used for many, many years.

• Posted

Hello Sparkright. Never heard about salt caves... But could you tell me what product you use for your inhalation twice a day? Is it salt water solution? The one you mix with the medicin? Or do you use it pure? And how much? 5ml. At every take?

thank you for the information and good luck! Christianne

• Posted

Hi Christiann

I use Nebusol which is inhaled via a compression nebuliser. It is 0.9% salt solution twice daily, before combivent and before drainage. It is ml each time.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks Sparkright, I'll talk about it with my doctor..  Maybe it's a good thing to do for me.....

have a nice evening, Christianne

• Posted

Hi Sparkright. My husband and I tried the salt cave in Milton Keynes having read up on it. They offer a free trial session. He has copd including bronchiectasis. We found the session very relaxing although he said that it had made his throat very dry. There was no immediate , obvious benefit but they do suggest a series of them for his condition. We had decided to sign up for a block of 5 to 10 sessions to really give it a fair go but unfortunately has contracted pleurisy so we have had to put it on hold for the time being. He fully intends giving it a go when he is over this illness. We take the attitude "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and if nothing else it was a very relaxing experience!! Will post on here the results as and when it happens and will look forward to your views if you decide to give it a go. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Sonsy. I will be really interested to see how you get on.  I am also thinking of going for a session to see what happens!

Best wishes

• Posted

I dont know whether they are a fad but if your chest is tight because of difficulty expectorating sputum drink lots and more in the summer.This keeps you well hydrated and the saline nebulisor is another way of getting moisture into the lungs.The salt in the nebuliser is the same strength as body fluids like plasma and blood so that you do not absorb plain water in the lungs nor do you extract water by having extra salt.It is called isotonic but perhaps you know that.I think the salt caves are just moistand help because it soothes the sometimes inflamed bronchi and lungs.. A steam inhalation or a hot shower could be just as good. I could be tempted to try a salt cave but not if you have to pay entry fees!
    • Posted

Many thanks Charles for the very practical views, and the update on isotonic.

much appreciated.

• Posted

Hi,

I'm Christine. I live in Glasgow and I've just been diagnosed with mild Bronchiectasis.

Last Monday evening I had to go to the local A & E as I was having difficulty with my breathing.

Long story short - After an X-ray and blood taken, I was admitted to the hospital and spent a week there getting treatment with antibiotics, oral steroids and some sessions on a nebulizer.

Due to the X-Ray results I was given a CT scan which showed the bronchiectasis in the lower lobes of both lungs.

I have an appointment to see my GP this Wednesday and an appointment with a respiratory consultant at the hospital at the begining of June.

I'm hoping this will all help soon as I'm registered as my husband's carer. (he's registered disabled. )

I've read about salt pipes and other methods of relief and was interested in people's experience with them.

• Posted

I am planning to try this as we have one nearby.  I am having such great improvement with nebulized saline solution that it seems as if I will help.  If I ever get there, I will let folks know.  I have a gift certificate for three visits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.