Salt caves

Posted , 6 users are following.

my husband has copd and bronchiastas and is thinking of trying the salt caves as an addition to his prescribed medication (Mucadyne, symbicourt,ventolin, flutter valve etc). Does anyone have any experience of their effect?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry can't help you on this one ,
    • Posted

Thanks anyway Nanny. If we try it I will post the results!
  • Posted

Hello, I hadn't heard of this, but I like doing research so I've had a bit of a read up.

There is conflicting information in that there has been no real research into this as a treatment, therefore at present it has no 'scientific' understanding or evidence. Therefore the majority of information Google offers up is 'negative press' of sorts. But ultimately nobody can disprove potential benefits.

Salt caves have been in use for over 150 years after a Polish physician noted that workers in salt mines had fewer cases of chest infection and respiratory problems. And 150 years on, people are still using it, which probably has to say something in itself. Salt is a natural anti fungal and anti bacterial - a natural 'cleanser'.

Some say it's only as effective as spending the same amount of time relaxing or meditating - but if it has benefits of any kind, it holds value in my mind.

From the point of view of patients with COPD, and their families on this forum - I tried to copy and paste but my phone wasn't having, so I suggest that you search the whole of this site for 'salt caves for COPD'.

I hope this is of some help.

I too would be interested to hear your husbands experience if he tries it.

Kind regards and *hugs*, hanb

• Posted

Thank you for your help hanb. I have googled salt caves and they have positive reviews but of course you never know how "real" they are. I think we are going to try it anyway "nothing ventured , nothing gained" . I just didn't want to raise his hopes too much but I believe that, if nothing else , it is a very relaxing experience, so we shall give it a go.
  • Posted

You can also buy a salt pipe on the internet. It's not expensive and seems to help.
  • Posted

What are salt caves please?
    • Posted

Hi Jude, see hangs rely above re salt caves. A company has recreated artificial salt caves in various locations in the uk. The cost is £35 a session. They are said to be beneficial for respiratory problems so I thought we might give them a try as we are only 45mins from the nearest venue. I hope to get an appt. next week so will let you know my husbands opinion after we have been. Hope this explains. Thanks
  • Posted

I have COPD and after a bad chest infection last month was persuaded to try a "salt pipe.(by my daughter-in-law).  I am monitored on a daily basis and have been issued with a mobile phne, blood pressure kit and an oximeter by the local health authority (Somerest)  I checked with the monitoring team before ordering the salt pipe and their response was "It wont do any harm, and some patients have given positive results".

Iv'e been using it for two weeks now so too early to report any improvement.  I use it for thirty minutes a day, easy as I read at same time.  It does make you thirsty though!

• Posted

Thanks for your comment. He has just started using the salt pipe too. We will see how it goes. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.