salt pipes, are they any good for bronchiectasis

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello, as I have lost faith in my GPs advice/help with this dreaded bronchiectasis (combined with asthma) I am seeking advice on devices for self help, todays product that I have just found out about is a salt pipe, never heard of it until today! but spoke to a friend who has 5-6 weeks of using one, and he swears by it, he has a copd thing going but not bronchiectasis, has anybody out there tried it? thanks in anticipation cheesygrin

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Think a nebuliser of ventolin and followed by a hypertonic saline via a nebuliser is better these and salt pipes should only be taken under medical advice as they do not agree with everyone
  • Posted

Hi David

There's little or no evidence for salt pipes being beneficial... On the other hand there's no particular evidence that it had any adverse side effects.

Well, that's the standard comment but actually there is an interesting, but very small study with limited power which suggests some beneficial detect and no side effects - although the authors of the study cannot rule out a placebo effect.

Here's the paper:

Pneumologia. 2007 Jul-Sep;56(3):124-7.The effect of a dry salt inhaler in adults with COPD.Cernomaz TA, Bolog SG, Mihăescu T.

So I would say give it a go if you like. It does occur to me that if the salt gets in the lungs, that might tend to draw water into the lungs (osmosis) which could allow easier clearance. Dunno. Shrug.

Perhaps a bit of a reach, but taking control of what you're doing is always a good thing.

On the other hand, maybe go for a saline nebulizer?

Clear lungs!

S

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.