salt therapy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have mild bronchiectasis and have just been reading about salt therapy. Does anyone have any information about using these? Do they work?Thanks in advance for any replies.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue

I have recently starting using a salt pipe, five weeks now, for 15 minutes per day. It's early days but I do think it has eased the tightness in my chest and I seem to be sleeping better with less coughing. However, I do still cough up a lot of phlegm some days but it does seem easier to cough up.

I don't want to say it works wonders, yet, but at the moment I think it has eased my symptoms.

• Posted

well thats good to cough up a lot of phlegm, as getting rid of it stops the bugs breeding
  • Posted

Hi Sue i bought a salt pipe for my husband. really not had a lot of use out of it yet as for the first part of the year he was in and out of hospital with infections. But we have just said to day we are going to start using it again other people have said they are good will let you know how we get on
  • Posted

Yes.  There was this doctor that noticed folks that worked in the salt mines did not get the lung infections like those that didn't in this area.  Not sure what this mans name was or where in the world it was, but my lung doctor mentioned it to me because there is a new business that opened up in the area for treating lung issues with salt treatment. I have yet to visit to find out about it.  I use a saline 7% solution in my nebulizer after the mucus myst. Was told that this lays on top of the lung organs and then the lungs absorb it. This will aid in keeping down lung infections. Keeping in mind, this will probably not cure our issues, but assist in the treatment.  

If you should visit one of these places, please let us know how it works for you.  

• Posted

Have used my salt chamber twice. Noticed a really runny nose immediately after and then my chest felt less congested. Will keep on with it and let u know.
  • Posted

Hi Sue

Been using salt pipe for a week, and it does seem to dry things up a little.  I am hoping with regular use it will help.  I have noticed I get a dry throat after use but happy to put up with this if it helps my lungs. I think its worth trying new things.  I have started taking manuka honey 10 plus from New Zealand as I have used this in the past to help with sinus infections, and it did help, . . . its supposed to be antibacterial? Also a nutritionlist suggested tumeric tablets as they are anti-inflammatory?  Perhaps I will have a chat to my physiotherapist when I get an appointment as am assuming they will be able to advise me what is worth trying!  Good luck with the salt pot if you give it a go, hope it helps you. All the best.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.