salto talaris implant broken..

Posted , 5 users are following.

this forum has been a life line for me over the last few months, after my replacement in nov 14 i have been in agony, ive been back to see my surgeon today (wrightington hospital UK) and after yet more x-ray he has now said that the plastic between my implants have broken and that is the cause of my pain (possibly). yet i have a photo of my old x-ray dated 22/01/15 that shows the exact same image, so if that is the case they have let me walk on a broken implant for 6 months. so after origanally being told that i may lose the lower part of my leg 2 months ago to him now saying we can just change the plastic, to  say im angry with them is an understatement......(pic added) the two small bits of plastic between the joints should be parallel  and one is on an angle...

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wayne,

i very sorry to hear hear the problem with your replacement. I suppose the question is why would you have pain from the surface of the joint when it is artificial with no nerves in there.  Sounds not Wright.   

Im at a stage where I'm considering fusion or replacement 

• Posted

Hi Jim, by all accounts nearly everyone I've spoken to has opted for the tar. I think I just got unlucky, try and do as much research as you can regarding the hospital and more importantly the surgeon doing the operation. I hope which ever you decide you make a swift recovery keep us informed of your progress. Regards wayne
  • Posted

Hi

I had a left ankle replacement at Wrightington Hospital ten weeks ago and have gone from bandage to  Aircast boot and then to Aircast ankle support.Am now on one crutch and no support.

I am in more pain than i had a month ago and have turned to pain killers first thing in the morning.

Am doing all the physio and getting ankle massage every week but its killing me.

May i ask for the name of the sugeon who performed your operation.

I was told that i would be walking arround in 3 months without crutches but would have to wait 6 month to 1 year for the swelling to go down completely.

I think if they told you the truth nobody would have the ankle replacement.

We wait and see over the next 3 month prior to final judgment. Keep in touch.

Mr Ankle 

• Posted

Hi Mr ankle, my surgery was done by rob smith in Nov 14, may I ask whom done yours and do you have any pics of your xray in your possession? Regards wayne
    • Posted

My man was Mr M Karski of no fixed address. Had on B U P A
  • Posted

I had my tar on 17 June 15 so am exactly 6 weeks into recovery. I have been walking with one crutch for a couple of weeks with very slowly diminishing pain. I recently moved to using both crutches again as I was walking with my foot sticking out to the side to avoid bending it. I reckon I need to start bending it more and strengthen the muscles around the joint. As I have said here before, I was discharged with zero advice on aftercare. I am hopeful that it is working for me but alarmed by the discussions here. I am very light however - around 8 stone which I think puts less stress on the tar. Seeing someone this week so will repost after that. My pain is still greater than pre op. Have been disappointed with the lack of advice from the professionals and finding this a useful forum. 
    • Posted

Hi mate I'm in the same boat, I also had zero aftercare from my hospital, everytime I phoned up I got no advice other than its normal to feel this pain, my advice to you would be DON'T TRY TO MUCH TO SOON. May I ask do you know what type of implant you had and where it was? Regards wayne
    • Posted

My implant was called Infinity. The movement in it is slightly improved as is the pain. I'm on one crutch now and keep it up as much as possible when not mobile. It's still pretty swollen but slowly improving. I'm booked in for physio in a week so will find out what's what I hope.

Cautiously ptimistic still.😕

• Posted

Hi Wayne

I can imagine that it must be painfull if the plastic lining is broken as it may push to the sides and hence irritate the surrounding tissue.  I would strongly reccomend that you go for a second opinion asap. I have not had the same inplant as you (Tribucular) but judging from where I am now,  you should not be in this kind of constant pain.

Regards

Leon

Regar 

• Posted

Hi

How the consultant could have miss read your xray could be deemed incompetence .

Take the matter up with the Hospital authority.

God luck for the future

Mr Ankle

• Posted

By public demand I have had to expose my replace ankle after 11 week. Looking good but hurting like he'll.  I anticipate  reduced pain over the next 3 months and full recovery in 6 months

Mr Ankle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.