Salvage radiotherapy after RP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

My 72-year-old husband had a radical prostatectomy because of aggressive prostate cancer early in March 2020.

He's been really remarkably well. No incontinence at all. Very good physical recovery- much gardening, hiking and tennis etc. He's using a penile pump very successfully. So all has been good, much better than we expected.

Then this week he has had the result from his latest high-accuracy PSA test. It's 0.09. Previously it's been reported as <0.01.

The surgeon has indicated that if there is another increase in PSA in 3 months time then salvage radiotherapy would usually be the next step.

Has anyone any experience of this? What is involved?

Joan

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Surgery after RT does not have a good prognosis.

Has he considered hormone therapy?

• Posted

Thanks, Barney.

That's not what's being considered.

He had the surgery, 16 months ago.

Now he may have to have salvage radiotherapy. We just want to know what is involved.

Joan

• Posted

Ok, I get it.

Sorry I was confused as "salvage" radiotherapy is not an expression I heard of but understand what it means: RT after surgery where the condition has not improved to the level hoped for.

Well I can certainly offer an opinion as I had that after my radical surgery failed.

In my case the PSA was measured a few days before RT began.

Then I went to the radiation oncologist to "plan" the RT. This involves a few scans (no pain involved, clothes kept on etc) so a map of the area is undertaken and an assistant marks areas on the pelvis with a texta which helps the technician guide the RT during the process, which begins a few days or week or so later.

RT involved a few mins (I think 7 or 8 mins) under a scanner each time for 5x a week for 7 weeks.

A couple of weeks after RT is over, the PSA is measured again and compared to what it was earlier.

The RT itself is pain free and side effect free (at least in my case). So much so that I wondered if anything was done at all! I had no fatigue, nausea etc. Honestly I wondered what if anything was done!

There is only one negative: prior to each scan one is asked to drink quite a bit of water. I can't recall how much, and it was at times difficult to "hold it in" until the scan was over.

This is not to say that I "leaked" during the scan. Never. But a few times I felt like there was no option but to relieve myself by going to the toilet (before the scan) and hence the scan was delayed as I needed to repeat the drinking session and hold it in until the scan was over.

The more water drank, within reason the better the RT, I was told.

• Posted

Good news!

Just to say that this week's high-accuracy PSA test came back with a reported result of <0.01.

We don't know why the previous test result was 0.09 but radiotherapy seems not to be needed at present.

We are very relieved.

Joan

• Posted

That result is the best you can get. I also got that, but only after surgery, RT and medication.

Make sure when follow up PSA tests are performed, they are done at the same lab.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.