Salvivary Gland (Wharton's duct)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I found a lump on the floor of my mouth (Kinda in the crease that goes from behind your teeth to the floor of your mouth) Of course I panicked I went to the Dentist he said he was pretty sure it was a clogged wharton's duct to suck lemon candy and come back in 2 weeks I did and it didn't go away it did get smaller. I waited 2 more weeks and went to an oral surgeon they did an xray and it didn't show anything. He said he didn't feel the need to poke around the floor of my mouth and he didn't think it was anything to worry about he said it could be scar tissue or a little blockage. I am still very worried when they pushed on it with their tools it almost feels like it comes to a head.  when I feel it with my finger it moves under my finger. I do wake up with a dry mouth. Any suggestions? should I go for a 3rd opinion I am worried about Cancer?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi ChristinaS4, I had the same issue.  Please go and see a Eye Ears and Throat Doctor.  Sucking on leemon candy is good and drinking a lot of water is excellent until you can get to ENT doctor.  I went to the dentist at first also, to no avail.  Then I went to an ENT doc and they took a xray and it was found that I had stones in my saliva glands near the floor of the mouth.  Please go as soon as possible.  They can get them out before an infection starts to build up. 
    • Posted

Thank You,

I am going to call tomorrow I am still nervous. The oral surgeon did an x-ray but they didn't see a stone.

• Posted

Yes, that happened to me also.  But the ENT doc was able to tell that  stone was in mines.  I had stones on both sides.  I had two surgeries in 2014 to get them out.  I suffer with dry mouth now but the pain is gone and it was not cancerous.  Unfortunately I lost both saliva glands on both sides because I waited too long and mines had gotten larger over time because they would go away and then return.  Please check the ENT doctors to make sure.
  • Posted

Hi ChristinaS4. This also happened to me. I saw a maxillo-facial surgeon after several infections caused by a blocked salivary duct. The X-ray didn't show a stone but I could feel one. In the end the surgeon removed my submandibular gland which was damaged due to repeated infections. The stone still hadn't come out with it but did so later when I had yet another infection. It's all fine now. There was no cancer. It is now 2 years on and the only evidence is a slight scar due to the surgery and my lower lip has still not got all feeling back but it isn't a problem. I would try and see someone before you suffer infections because they are really painful.
  • Posted

By all means go visit your Dr. Because you said it had got smaller does sound like a blockage but don't worry yourself to the point of being poorly.

My lump was at the back of my ear and I thought it was nothing really but soooo glad I went and saw Dr.

Hope this helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.