Same medication for 5 months, but only just experiencing side effects?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with hypertension around about 5 months ago. Put on ramipril which wasn't having enough of an effect until I was up to 10mg. Since then, my readings have always been fine. What's strange is that I all of a sudden seem to be developing the dizziness and faint-feelings that the GP warned me might happen when I first started it. I didn't have this to begin with, so why might it be happening now?

Just to complicate matters, I have also very recently been diagnosed with sarcoidosis, and my respiratory consultant advised a low-salt diet to help get my bp down and my kidneys as healthy as possible in case I end up needing steroids for the sarcoid. I've been following this advice, but in the course of trying to find out what is happening regarding these symptoms, I've discovered that the advice on ramipril is to "discuss with your doctor" if you follow a low salt diet. My consultant knows I am on ramipril and still advised this, but I suppose I'm wondering if it's possible that the low-salt diet is working, and therefore my dose of ramipril is now too high? I'm pretty new to the idea of having health conditions of any kind, so having been diagnosed with three (also have ovarian cysts) in the space of a few months has left my brain boggling!

Thanks in advance for any advice or experiences.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi llamas, I know a little about sarcoidosis and I am not sure about the salt issue or why you would be told to reduce it to maybe only in natural sources, if your salt intake was high and you have now dropped it down considerably then your BP could go down, are you checking it to see if its become lower
  • Posted

Ramipril has a half-life of about 16 hours, so it takes a few days to get up to a full dosage.  Then like any ACE inhibitor, it may cause some fluid retention, issues with your electrolytes (salts).  If on a low-sodium diet, you may need to take care with potassium and magnesium, too.  As usual, discuss with your doctor, maybe have a blood test to check your levels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.