sanctioned for rescheduling esa assessment

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi my bf was scheduled for a esa assessment he rescheduled the first appt because his back was so bad he has psiatica so they gave him another date ,but on that date his back was so bad he could not even get out of bed and they told him he could not reschedule and that he had to get a note from his doctor which he did, but they put him down as a no show and sanctioned him. When he went to JSA they informed him that a mistake was made and that he did not technically cancel but had rescheduled therefore he should not have been sanctioned esa reinstated his esa but they had previously contacted his housing benefit and had cancelled that as well , what a mess it was to get everything back up and running again, what is wrong with these people that they can mess with the lives of disabled people? Its hard  enough to cope on a daily basis with having all of this to deal with, i think they should be held accountable for what they did what do you think? His assessment is scheduled for the 22nd , he had to go the his doctor and get him to fax them so he could get a cab to get there he hasnt heard anything about if they will pick him up what should he do ? and has this happened to anyone else?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What a mess, yes what is the matterwith these people?

Hope he can keep appointment on 22nd.

Good luck with all of this.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi I sympathise..  Why doesn't he tell them he can't get there so they will have to do a home visit?  They might kick of about this but it is his right.  x
    • Posted

Oh dear.  They don't like home visits and try and put you off.  But at the end of the day if he can't get there they will have to.  They do do home vists.   Maybe he could get the back up of his doctor.   Have a look at your rights in this.  Don't know of a site but there must be something on google.  Or try the govt. site.   x
    • Posted

As far as I know, and this infomation came by way from a visting officer from the DWP - you are NOT entitled to a home visit UNLESS your GP confirms that it is required due to your situation. The test for this is : do you only have your GP visit you at home?

They argue that if you don't and you go to the surgery, then attending an assessment centre is no different. 

• Posted

Stupid really, my wife drives me to my doctors. Yet, she as offered to come out on many occassions. I have never said yes, because the way I see it is a stardard appointment is 10 minutes, our Doctor's surgery is about 2-2.5 miles away, which would make a roughly a 30 minute trip for her, because she would have to encounter the IMJIN Barracks Area roundabout, then another roundabout followed by Main 'A' Road Traffic Lights. So, I tend not to tie up her time seeing me, whereas she could be treating other people.

I used to have a document on this subject, but I cannot find it now - probably around here somewhere! rolleyes

Regards,

Les

• Posted

I have just gone through this nightmare where the ESA assessment team have a fax  and the PIPS team do not and as my GP sent the fax on Friday and a letter through the post  to both of them. I was told to go to a second ESA assessment an hour from my house after having shoulder surgery ,yesterday, Tuesday .Luckily on Monday the fax had got through saying on no way could I get to the assessment but could have a home visit. It was only due to my pursuing whether or not they had received the fax that they cancelled.Today the letter had still not got to the Pips dept .Due to Christmas post so on that strength they cancelled the PIPs second assessment due to a  change of circumstances ,my surgery which has not not healed yet as Fibromyalgia doubles the recovery time. The irony is back in May when I could drive I was seen at home . And awarded two years as I also have had FIBromyalgia for 8  years. Best thing is to get in touch with your MP as I managed to get the Resolution Manager a Sharon Dowrick to send me a letter of apology and pull weight on this .
  • Posted

Hi lilmama,

Hypercat is correct, you do have the right to ask for a home visit, if your unable to make an appointment that they have arranged at an assessment centre. It is obvious in your case this is totally irresponsible on their behalf. First port of call, insist on an home visit, because it is your right considering your circumstances. If that does not work then get back to me, I will give you details of getting around their unreasonably or perversely unyielding mannerism towards you, to be honest they even lie, they have done this to me before even though I had letters in front of me from them stating otherwise.

There is always other 'roads people can take', your's is still short - but by pressing the right buttons 'so to speak', it is possible to overturn this matter, it's a case of knowing the right people in the right places. Even, if the ESA assessment fails - this can be overturned.

The DWP is above us all, and can tell us what to do, but there are bodies above them that are far more powerful. All it takes is one email to two people, which will get your case 'flagged' up on their systems. They are probably only doing this to your husband because they are so short-staffed which came to light, earlier this month. I know people run the DWP down, but at the end of the day, they are just people on the phone, and they take orders from the 'higher-up's'.

Okay, there are numerous people on here that are on the sick, that can put forward information on how to get things done - to people like yourself. What you are not told is how to get the correct help or even where to even go.

Anyway, let's see if you will get anywhere with pestering them. Remember, cases where the individual is definitely disabled either physically or mentally, it is not their fault of their own. I have seen what's happening in April with this government, and its not nice at all.

Regards,

Les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.