Sarcoidois and cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi 

?My Mum has sarcoidois and has  - after several months worth of tests - has been (by some professionals) diagnoised with lung cancer. The only treatment being offered in the removal of two thirds of one lung and that she might not survive the operation. Has anyone else had this form of operaton in their mid 70s and survivied. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Doctors are required to spell out the risks. Of course people survive but like all surgery it depends on your overall fragility. It does not sound as though mum has many other choices to achieve a reasonable recovery. I am sorry, it must be so hard for you all

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi broadsword,

It is hard because you want the best quality of life for your loved ones. Mum is going for the pre op tests again so that will hopefully help make her decision. Bless her she doesn't want to be a burden - as if she could be - we want her to be be well.

• Posted

I had 60% of my right lung excised, the superior and middle lobes, about five weeks ago.   Doctors are required to spell out the risks, usually though they prefer to dwell on the possitives.   I had stage 1A, the 5 year rate of survival after this operation for stage 1A is 49%.   for the next stage the survival rate goes down markedly to around 15%..   Plenty on google about survival rates.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response tony, I hope that you are well after your op. I think that it is fear of the unknown but she is going for the pre op tests again so that will give her a clearer picture.
  • Posted

Hello Heather

you are so right, we want the best for loved ones. Stay strong and look after yourself during this difficult time and continue to help mum make the right decisions. These illnesses have a huge psychological impact ( don't I know it ) so try to reassure mum she is not a burden

Best wishes

Brian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.