Sasha

Posted , 4 users are following.

Went to a conference on migraine yesterday. Lots of new chat about Aimovig. Anyone tried it yet?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes.  Just took my 3rd dose of Aimovig a week ago.   I seemed to have gotten palpitations the first few nights from it, but it hasn't helped this time at all yet.  I am on magnesium combo with butterbur etc but am now constipated which is the main side effect of Aimovig. After my first dose, I thought it helped, but I had started the magnesium combo a week before and was already getting headache free days from it.  The studies aren't very impressive showing 1 or 2 less headache days a month than without, but for some people it seems to be working well.  I'm having headaches daily now so am in a rebound situation.  I'm taking the longest acting triptan which is Frovatriptan,  and when I take it soon enough, I don't have a headache that day, but it is hard to gauge sometimes.   

There is a FB page for Aimovig patients that has a lot more patients reporting.  My migraines started in my 40's around my period but after hysterctomy, they got much worse.  When I'm on a preventive, I do better, but haven't been able to tolerate one lately.  Need to get back on one.  

That's my story.  Downloaded a Curable app with meditations, brain training, and neuroscience of pain info.  It's encouraging but too soon to tell if it will help.  

Gaye 

• Posted

I live in Ireland and aimovig will not be here till the end of 2019. My neurologist is trying to get me on it as there are going to give it to a few people on a trial basis. He says there is nothing left for me to try .I have even gone to UK to see Peter Goadsby  3 times. My Mother died suddenly in January and my brother in law had a heart transplant 3 weeks ago and is critical, so a lot of stress. My doctor says my migraines have gone through the roof with all the stress .Tomorrow I go into hospital for a total knee replacement,very nervous about operation. My migraine pain is worse than my knee pain.I feel a burden as my very good brother will have to look after me. We live in the same house as we cared for my 95 year old Mother. Do you live in USA and getting the aimovig there. Wish me luck,all the best Joan.
    • Posted

Hi Joan. 

I also take the longest acting triptan called Frova. It’s so expensive that I get it from a wonderful Canadian pharmacy. It takes 2 hours to work but if taken at very first sign or as a preventive, I don’t have headache all day. It is not meant to be preventative but doc gave it to me to break the cycle of rebound migraines. No side effects probably because it’s so long acting. If you want the name of pharmacy, let me know and I will give you my email. I don’t know if I can put it on here. I am in USA. Since drug companies make more from us here due to our unregulated system, I’m sure that’s why we got Aimovig first. I’m having good results from the guided meditations and other exercises in Curable app. It helps me calm my brain. Also trying a few hypnosis appointments   Not sure Aimovig has helped at all. If you google studies on it, and articles, it will give you a picture of what to expect. I’m part Irish and pretty much all U.K.  also a lot Scottish. Been twice to Ireland and loved it.

Best of luck to you. Gaye

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.