Sauna and hot tub anyone?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, this may seem like a really trivial question, but does anyone know if sauna use is a big no-no after surgery?

I am 3 weeks post op TLHR, dressing has been off 1.5 weeks, no leakage, disolvable stitches, no discernible swelling and can shower no problem.

For my wedding anniversary tomorrow we are returning to our wedding venue and our room has its own hot tub and sauna. The hot tub has steps leading up to it, but I don't know if I dare use it or the sauna. Could the heat/steam cause my wound area any problems? Any advice much appreciated. And yes, the room was booked way before I knew a hip replacement was inmy future!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not sure about a sauna, but I'd go even part-way for the tub. Even if you can't immerse yourself in the tub, you could probably put your lower legs in it. I know I would. Keep your scar site covered with a good waterproof dressing.

Re the steps, make sure they are non-slip or put towels down to keep them dry. Is there a railing or are they just exposed tiled steps? If the latter, take a helpful arm from hubby when getting up and down.

• Posted

Thanks belle, sounds like a plan, I could perch against the sides and feel like I'm getting some use out of it!
  • Posted

Step one, get your husband to check that the cut has healed over completely, are their any scabs left at all. 

I too had disolving stitches, but i did develop a very thin line of scabs.

I was hanging out to get back in my heated pool for exercise, I rally enjoy the exercise I can do in the heated water.

About the same time frame as you when i talked to my GP, he looked at my cut, and rubbed gently a little scab with his finger tip, and said that one may still be raw underneath, no swimming, come back next week, by then all my scabs had dropped off, and he gave me the all clear, been swimming ever since, or modified treading water swimming.

• Posted

Thanks Lyn, that will be job no 1 for hubby today! Although I do think it may be over ambitious to submerge the scar area. I may very well chicken out and just dabble my feet in.
  • Posted

Hi Dawn, 

I don't know about the tub --- I think you are right about just putting your feet in- My concern would be risking an infection - 3 weeks scar is still sort of new ...

I Love sauna .... Not recommended since I have High Blood pressure -  Are you still on medication .

Now, the other thing, since I have this hardware in hips and legs, I feel the cold inside my body ... really cold - I wonder if the opposite would occur in the sauna? is it dry or steam ? If it is steam I would go in for short times ...

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, I can report that I have given the hot tub a miss. There was no way I was going to get my leg over. I have sat in the steam sauna for about 10mins and it was very pleasant. May pop in again briefly again to show willing!

Medication is paracetamol and Pradaxa for blood thinning. I am trying to be very mindful and don't want any setbacks for short term enjoyment!

Warm hugs back to you. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.