Saw dermatologist, still no answers

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've waited since the beginning of October, but my deem appointment hasn't given me any answers. I told her about the itching & white patches and said I suspected LS. She had a look and she said it doesn't look quite right for LS as I don't have any architectural changes. Which doesn't make sense, right? As presumably I've caught it early before that happens?

She seemed to think it could be the hpv virus.

In any case, she says I need a biopsy and is referring me to a gynaecologist to get that done. She also kept saying how odd it is that my periods haven't returned since I gave birth 2.5 years ago.

I feel like a freak sad

If it IS

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I didn't think architecture changes were always present in LS... From what I understand, they can develop if it's left untreated... Am I right?

Doesn't inspire me with confidence that the derm knows what she's talking about rolleyes

• Posted

I'm starting to think architectural changes like flattening labia happen quickly (Guppy thinks in our sleep) and are not really very preventable. In the 19th century they named it Lichen Sclerosus et Atrophicus. The atrophy part doesn't seem to respond to the drug the way surface skin irritation does. But it does seem possible to stave off overt fusing of raw surfaces by being vigilant with oil.
    • Posted

Does that mean it's inevitable? sad

At the moment I'm using jojoba oil + frankincense before bed. I've also cut refined sugar from my diet.

Tbh I'd be surprised if it turns out NOT to be LS. I've done a lot of research and it really does sound like it, albeit a mild case. Just want a diagnosis.

Does anyone know how reliable the biopsy is?

• Posted

LS is so stress-exacerbated, therefore so variable I would not say inevitable. But once flattening has happened hindsight doesn't say, oh I should have used the steroid ointment more often.
  • Posted

The biopsy will tell whether she is right or you are right.  

Perhaps you can already be a bit pro active and start with reducing your sugar intake.  Perhaps you find comfort by taking a bath in which 1/3 cup baking soda.  

The architectural changes happen over a very long period of time and first not even noticeable, is my experience.  (how many of us looked 'down there' before we knew we had LS?) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.