Saw ortho consultant last week for MRI results!

Posted , 2 users are following.

On seeing the consultant he showed me my MRI showing a L1 compression fracture [a flattened squashed vertebra] - saying one could  was a 'whitish'' small area within the compressed vertebra that might account for the pain I still feel when mobile for too long.  Apparently the 'white area is a sign the damaged vertebra has not properly healed  making inflammation still possible since the time I sustained this injury in January this year.

Have any of you here had a similar MRI result, I would appreciate your experiences - thank you!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

error amended 2nd line to :

'saying one could see a 'whitish' small area within the......'

• Posted

L1 is a very tricky area as it's a transitional vertebra from the lumbar to the thoracic vertebrae.  My daughter had a compression fracture of L1 that took a long time to heal.  I don't know if docs can fix just L1.  I have a fusion at L2/L3 and another from L3 through S1.  Doc cautioned me about messing up L1/L2 which would mean a major fusion from T10 through L2.  I don't know if you are in that danger zone or if your's will heal like my daughter's.

If there is a one-level fix for you, ask the docs about an LLIF (Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion)...they go in from your SIDE (not your back) and implant an expandable device to replace the damaged disk.  Best things: 90-minute op, one-night hospital stay, no brace, no rehab.  When I say "expandable", it's really that...like a car jack when you have a flat tire.  They clear out the bad disk, insert the device and then crank it open with an actual Allen wrench to restore the proper disk space, taking the pressure off all the compressed nerves.

Had mine at L2/L3 (see picture).  Miracle op...pain (mine was stenosis) gone instantly...like the op never happened.  Search YouTube for "globus lateral" to see a cute animation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.