Saw Palmetto and aFib

Posted , 4 users are following.

After taking saw palmetto for prostrate maintenance for decades, I stopped taking it after being advised by a pharmacist that it was a bleed risk when taking anticoagulants. I discussed this with my EP and although he could not find anything wrong with taking it, he said  if I wanted to take the pharmacist recommendation that was fine too. Being the cautious type, I stopped the saw palmetto.

My PCP then prescribed Flomax, but I discovered it was causing arrhythmia and aFib events, so I stopped taking it. 

I am now on Tikosyn and Pradaxa (changing to Eliquis soon) and am considering resuming saw palmetto and am interested in anyone who may have experience in this regard, 

Patrick

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Curious why you are switching from Pradaxa to Eliquis. Pradaxa has a reversal agent and Eliquis doesn't. I'm on Xerelto which also doesn't have a reversal agent and thinking about Pradaxa. Interesting about Flomax as a trigger. Too many triggers for afib!!!

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Economics. Eliquis costs me a third of the price of Pradaxa. My EP prescribed Pradaxa out of concern of a possible fall during my daily bike rides, but now the FDA has approved a reversal agent for Eliquis that will be released soon. Pretty sure I read it will work for Xarelto as well, but you can Google it as they don’t like links posted here.

Regarding the cost, your insurance may be different as one lady told me hers was just the opposite of mine and Eliquis would cost her 3x the cost of Pradaxa. Weird, huh?

Patrick

• Posted

Andexxa is the name of the reversal agent for Eliquis and Xarelto and will be released June 2018. Google it for more info.
  • Posted

Hi Patrick, I have taken both Saw Palmetto and Warfarin for about eight months with no ill effects. Have you managed to find any other supporting evidence for your Pharmacist’s statement? Does anyone else have a view?

• Posted

Thanks for your response. If you Google it, you can find supporting documentation for just about anything. I have found statements that Saw Palmetto is not recommended while taking blood thinners but my EP found nothing wrong, which is why I will resume saw palmetto after seeing him this week. Still interested in any other experiences and still interested in any experiences here related to Saw Palmetto and blood thinners. 
    • Posted

Please enlighten us with any further info you may find. I will update after seeing my EP and PCP this week. 8-)
  • Posted

Thank you for the information about the Eliquis.  My only bad side effect has been extremely tired but unable to sleep well at night.  Go figure!  I'm happy to hear there will be an antidote!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.