Say no to hysterectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I am chocked to read how frequently women are advised to have a hysterectomy considering the fact that it is a quite large operation with likely comprehensive and lifelong side effects.

A few examples: at least 50% of women who has had the operation will develop incontinence and vaginal prolapse over time (80% says the largest American doctors' association). Since the uterus is placed in a quite central part of the body other organs such as bowels and bladder may be damaged during the operation, and, being a central organ, removing the uterus may have an impact on the placement of the other organs. There is evidence that a hysterctomy causes early menopause, probably (not yet proven) due to impaired blood supply to the ovaries. Please read on internet what it may do to your sex life! You can also find testimonies from American women about their suffering after hysterectomy.

If you ask your doctor about these side effects and she/he deny or diminish them, look for information on your own, compare information and think for yourself. The side effects are quite logical. Some doctors have their own agenda, which may be much more important to them than your lifelong health.

I went to see a gyn about two years ago. She said that I had two "enourmous" fibroids and showed me the size of a football with her hands. Looking at my tummy I realized that she was exaggerating a lot, but they were still big and caused heavy bleeding. She said that I should have an operation and told me "no worries, they will leave the ovaries". I went out from the hospital thinking "and what will they not leave?". Then I read the information about fibroids and operations on several web pages and realized what this monster had in mind for me - female mutilation.

I contacted another doctor and I told her that hysterectomy was out of the question and also gave her my view of discrimination against women in health care. No one would suggest to a man to have his reproductive organs removed!

When I presented my arguments against hysterctomy she reluctantly admitted that I "may have a point", but being a suregeon she defended hysterectomy anyway. I said that there must be other options for women and there were of course.

We discussed embolization, but I was still reluctant since it may have an impact on nerves and blood supply to different organs.

Then she told me about Esmya and it seemed great to me. I took it for three months and I had no side effects. I was just very happy to get rid of the heavy bleeding and to have a flatter tummy. Still my fibroids had only shrunk by 15% and after six months they had grown a lot again. Now I had four very large fibroids (each with a diameter of 7-9 cm) and my uterus was quite big. I looked as if I was pregnant and the bleeding was heavy and non-stop. Again the doctor suggested operation. I refused and set up an appointment with another doctor.

I realized that a longer period with Esmya would probably be the only cure for me and I found a doctor who agreed. After five months on Esmya (with no side effects) my fibroids have now shrunk more than 50% and my uterus is much smaller (almost back to normal size) and my tummy is flat. We have decided that my doctor will check on my fibroids every third month and if they regrow I will be put on Esmya again. Scary that I (being a financing professional) had to design my own health plan because of incompetent doctors.

It is up to every woman to decide what to do with her body. Not the doctors! Look for information, it is quite easy to find on internet. There are organizations working against hysterectomy. Talk to different doctors! I do realize that some women have bad side effects when taking Esmya, but please compare with the lifelong damage to your body that a hysterectomy may cause before you decide on an operation. An operation should be the very last alternative, if it should be an alternative at all.

Good luck to you all!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I absolutely agree with you that it's your own choice and that hysterectomy is a radical solution.  I'm pleased you've found a method that shrinks your fibroids.  But there is one thing I have learnt from having a very large fibroid over many years and that is the strain it can cause on your internal organs can lead to a bowel prolapse so with hindsight a hysterectomy might have been in my best interests.

• Posted

What's the main active ingredient in Esmya? What in it causes the fibroids to shrink & stop heavy bleeding? And why only 3 months at a time? It hasnt been tested/proven to be taken long term or until the fibroids disappear?
    • Posted

Hello Juju2323,

Very briefly explained - the ulipristal acetate in Esmya blocks the progesteron hormon, which causes growth of fibroids. You can read more thorough explanations on the web. Sometimes the endometrium gets thick from the lack of progesteron and it is important that it goes back to normal size, which happens when you have your period. If it just builds up for a long time doctors are afraid that it would cause cell changes (no indications that it would though).

My endometrium did not grow during my first course of Esmya so I was not afraid to take it for five months. And it did not grow during the five months of treatment.

There are test on-going for longer use, but extended treatment and several courses are permitted in steps due to the fact that it is a new medical treatment.

• Posted

Kk, thank you for your insightful comments. I agree 100%. Esmya has also worked for me having been on a 6 month course, with a break in between, however returning to my original state when stopping. I too strongly believe though that with longer continuous use that the benefits will be great and for me the benefits outweigh the risks. i too will be talking to my doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.