Scabies

Posted , 4 users are following.

After meeting someone on a dating site (getting along very well) a month later I started to itch and little lumps with a white centre started to appear. I thought I had been bitten by mosquitoes and treated them as such. Another few weeks past and they were getting worse not better. That's when I realised what they were. I told the person who I had met and they would do nothing about it so I discontinued the relationship. However I was left with this mess. So far i have used 20 tubes of lyclear and a bottle of tea tree oil. All to no avail. I am at my wits end now especially after reading a lot of the stories. This is horrific. I desperately need help in getting rid of this curse. Please please someone help me 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi dede,  

If you are sure that it is scabies, permithrin is probably the best. I don't know where you are  but have you seen a doctor about it, as it may be cheaper on a prescription although you can by it over the counter. You need to follow the instructions to the letter. Including daily laundry/ bedding etc. If you've only just caught it then you stand a better chance of getting rid of it.

Hope that helps 

Stella  

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Stells. Yes it is scabies and I have been fighting it for close to three months now. It is the most discusting thing I have ever experienced. The stories I have read are horrifying and scare me
  • Posted

I suggest you do an internet search on clove oil with carrier oil as an effective treatment for scabies.  There was a study done in Queensland, Australia, with a US uni.  I can't remember the proportions.  You would also have to treat your environment, e.g. bed clothes, etc.
    • Posted

I did the clove oil treatment... apart from burning like hell it didn't work for me ... it was 6% ... problem with buying essential oils nowadays a lot are adulterated.  I ended up burning my skin... .in very sensitive places. OMG was I in pain.  

Stella

• Posted

Hi Dede.... try not to read them, there's too manyhorror stories and they won't help you. Yes, it's an awful thing to have but try not to beat yourself up.... millions of people get it unfortunately.  Chemicals are not really good for your skin, but do try  the permithrin, if you've never had it before chances are it will clear it, but the daily cleansing is the key as well and you need to do a repeat treatment after a few days, from memory I think it's 4?  but best to check.

You could also try a sulphur soap to shower with, it's a bit drying but  sulphur was often used prior to chemicals anyway. . Epsom salts are good in a bath... but not too much as if it's too strong it will irritate you skin.  If the spots get raw, try dabbing 3% hydrogen peroxide on a cotton bud.. no stronger... this will kill any bacteria . There is a lotion called eurax lotion/ cream, which they used to prescribe but it's not an effective killer- which is why it's no longer prescribed but it does help the itching.

Be kind to yourself.. it's not your fault. Take care

Chin up..

Stella 

• Posted

Stella, Lyclear is Permethrin and Dede says she has used 20 tubes!
    • Posted

Hi Dana

Yes I read that, I think there's a difference between the two... I've got a vague idea  permithrin also contains malathion. Malathion was discontinued for some time and so was lyclear... don't know the reason, possibly  licensing. But not every product works for every body.  you know it's important that all the body, as directed, is covered and that's hard to do if you are on your own. Like your back... Also the skin can still have the itching/crawling sensations afterwards.  If lyclear hasn't worked, then try the permithrin... can't do anymore harm than the lyclear has...If after that it's still not gone, then maybe it's not scabies.  But it sounds like it, as the skin is raised possibly burrows??. 

Just trying to help... like everybody else. 

Stella

• Posted

I am now getting pink lines over my body. They are very tender as though I am bruised. 
    • Posted

Hi Dede

Are they raised and itchy... there's examples on the web.  If you haven't seen the doctor or dermatologist, you really should.  Although

sometimes they're not always right.

Take care

Stella

• Posted

20 tubes of this medicine will cause havic on your skin. My daughter/boyfriend and baby just went through this. They used prymethrin 2 times, baby used prymethrin 2 times and 2 doses of ivermethin. All are clear but the baby still have rashes. There itch just went away a few days ago. They are 5 weeks out. Know the difference of scabies and post scabies. The treatment kill this stuff but the effects are long. Trust the treatment, go to doc if you really think they are not gone. The oral medication is very effective as well. Take antihistmine and healing lotions for the skin. Coconut oil is great. It will pass
  • Posted

Hi there ! So sorry for what you are going through . Yes ....this is an absolute nightmare . The more you read online the worse the anxiety ! But , get informed ! I will give you my story as it may help you find things you've missed along the way to fight this. I got mine from a friend that stayed in my place and Cat sit with me while I was on vacation. she absolutely gave it to my cat. which most vets will tell you is not possible. Do you have an animal? They can live on them for 21 days as a host they don't nOT reproduce on the animal but they live on the animal as a host for 21 days . looking for a new host they can reproduce on as in you. I had a very mild case because I was aware she had it after she stayed at my place. I am on my 6th week of the cream and taking Ivermectin. I think Ivemectrin is an absolute must in fighting this parasite. make sure you have enough of it if you go to a doctor. I work in the medical field and very few doctors know how to treat this correctly. I guess I don't know for sure if mine is gone but I feel comfortable that it is. I'm treating myself this week as well with both the cream and Ivermectin I hope this is the end. I was also fanatic about the cleaning. it was exhausting but I cleaned every single day I got home from work put my sheets in the dryer every single night. praying I can stop doing that after this week. I also used very toxic cleaners , a lot of bleach and sprayed my apartment down with Permethrin many times. I wore gloves from the hospital almost every day in my place. covered my mattress with plastic and my pillows. I haven't sat on my couch and almost 2 months. clean your car as well everyday. if all this hasn't worked I really don't know where I will go from here yes it's been an absolute nightmare. the worst part of the anxiety of giving it to others are wondering if I've given it to anybody and if I'll ever get rid of it. I am confident it is gone. do your research again I work in the medical field and many doctors did not know how to treat this. there was a chart somewhere online that told the exact days to take Ivermectin day 1 2 8 9 21 27 and I continued that for one more week. I had my blood drawn and liver enzymes kidney functions tested last week after taking this. everything came back normal. I haven't seen my boyfriend since the middle of February. we are long distance and he's finally coming this weekend because I finally feel comfortable that it's gone. I definitely have anxiety and almost want him to treat for it. the anxiety is the worst part about this will it come back? Is it gone? I said to a friend we need a support group for this parasite but we'd all be afraid to be around each other in fear of catching it again. good luck to you don't let the stuff online make you crazy just get the information you need move forward and get rid of this. be diligent about the cleaning yes it's exhausting but you'll get used to doing that every night and I've become very fast at cleaning. oh and make sure you put your clothes in plastic bags I have done that for weeks. good luck
    • Posted

Question, What were you symptoms? Did you give it to anybody else? If you are 2 months out as our family is with symptoms almost gone and no one else getting it I would say we are all clear.
    • Posted

I think I have more post symptoms and then symptoms when I found out I had it. Again I knew I was exposed and was probably going to get it. The second I saw a rash I started treatment. Also the things you read say you don't get it on your scalp that was the worst part for me both pre and post. Literally felt like things were crawling on my scalp and still does at times. But then my cat slept on my pillow literally leaned up against my head. He got to the point where he was losing all his hair scratching like crazy and almost schizophrenic. He was carrying the Mites so if you have animals you must treat them. praying this is gone and I can continue on with my normal life again. I wouldn't wish this on anybody what a nightmare. as far as I know I did not give it to anyone else. I've stayed away from any direct contact with anyone in the last 2 months. I didn't let anyone come in my place and I sprayed Permethrin in my car. hope some of this helps
  • Posted

After using 20 tubes I think I may have poisoned myself as I have been very sick for the past few days. Still after all that and the cleaning I am getting new lumps. I have not tried the ivermectin so will get back to the dr today and give that a go. Here's hoping. I have read how some people have had this torture for years. It's driving me insane after only three months. 

I thank you all for your comments as knowing that you are there and going through the same thing is keeping me calm. I hope you all get rid of this as well as me and soon.

Again thank you for the support.

• Posted

Wow 20 treatments of permethrin ?? You are poisoning yourself ! Take a break from treatments perhaps it's just post scabies you are getting. Otherwise you are somehow getting reinfested from your place ?? Talk to a Dr get blood drawn to make sure you are not poisoning yourself and get the Ivemectrin! !
    • Posted

Indeed I was however as I'm a little paranoid over it all its hard to stop using it. I am returning to the dr and will ask for blood tests to be done. I have been doing all the usual cleaning and then some so just don't understand why this is still going on. I am also asking for the ivermectin. I have also ordered on line a cream by the name of emuaidmax. I have not heard anyone comment on it as yet. Hope it's legit and I have not wasted $90 but ready to give anything a go.
    • Posted

Trust me I understand .....I am completely paranoid it is not gone and afraid to stop treatments . My Boyfriend is coming this weekend and I have so much anxiety he is going to catch this . I am going to do one more permethrin treatment this week , and Ivermectin. Will see If I stop after this treatment . This is week 7 for me . I wish there were stories online about people that have beat this ......I finally stopped reading / researching because it makes you crazy . I also use tea tree oil in my skin ....will kill mites on the surface but not eggs !! I can't clean any better .....I'm not even sure what I would do from here if this is not gone .....u will let you know in a couple weeks . Good luck to you !
    • Posted

Hi Dede, I'm not surprised you feel unwell. Your body needs a break to get the toxins out of your system.  The Dr is the best route now, but be honest about the amount you've put on yourself... Ivermectin  can have side effects too.. as with any drug.  You haven't said if you live with other people and/or they are free of it.  Towels, tea towels are another thing to think about.  I found the best way to cut down on the laundry was to use tea towels instead of towels.... I just learnt to dry myself very quickly after a shower... plus they are so easy to launder. believe it or not.  Ther's a lot of speculation about how long these things live without a host hence the cleaning.  You could try dusting around the bed with Diamtemaceous earth, it's an insecticide... strangely enough people actually can take it to cleanse internally for parasites ( not scabies) if you do use it, just be cafeful about breathing it in.  Good luck at the Dr's... keep us posted.

Take care.

Stella

• Posted

Really need to stop treating, its post scabies. Go 8 weeks and if you get new spots wait to see if they go away after a few days. I bet you will be surprised. You will continue to itch and get spots from the treatments. 
    • Posted

My daughter/granddaughter and boyfriend all beat it! The baby was treated with 2 permethrin treatments along with 2 ivermectin treatments. Mom and boyfriend 2 permethrin treatments and waited now 8 weeks, all is finally going away and no body else  ever got it but was still treated practively ( included 6 other family members that have close contact). Basic cleaning and washing but that was it, but still very through cleaning. The baby had crusted scabies as she went untreated 6 weeks. The baby got a skin infection as well from the treatments and still gets rashes but they do not itch and no body else does so we know its gone. Hard to believe our family did not get it or the one proactive treatment killed them cause we all hold the baby all the time. The baby got it from a YMCA life jacket!
    • Posted

Such a relied to hear!!! It seems most of what I read are nightmare stories about those who have it for months / years and can't rid of it . I get nervous every time I see any red dots or marks .. They seem to get away now ....hoping/ praying post scabies! Thank you for sharing your positive outcome !
    • Posted

I do to but reality is they go away. I am 44 and never met anybody with them till my family 2 months. They have to be treatable else everybody would have them. I too read horrible stories but now I have met 2 others in my community that had them and were healed with the treatments never to get them again. I also found out my father in law and husband had them when they were babies, both healed. Trust the treatments and move on with life! So much to live for!
    • Posted

Thank you again !! The worst part of this I think is the anxiety !! Yes I agree...life is great and I'm ready to have mine back !!!
    • Posted

Right now I feel I'm about to get on top of this. Went back to the dr today and asked for ivermectin for the scabies. He said he had NEVER prescribed this for scabies and was not willing to give it to me. Using my phone I went on line and showed him what the web site said about it. Yay  he agreed to give it to me and even said he learnt something new today. lol

Now my problem is none of the chemists in town stock it and have to get it in. This may take a couple of days lol. Still at least I know it's coming and because of that I feel such relief. 

Thanks to you all for the suggestion to get it. Without you I would not have known about it.

• Posted

Make sure he gives you enough. The Doctor i originally saw did not five me enough. It should be taken day 1 2 8 9 15 21 and 27 (27 in severe cases ) . Good luck!! I also read things about how you shouldn't shower for 24-48:hours after taking it . (It goes to your skin ) I'm not sure this makes sense but I didn't take chances so don't shower for 24 hours .
    • Posted

Dr has given me 8 tablets. Told me to take 4 the first day then another 4 two weeks later. Nothing like you have said. Now I am a little worried.
    • Posted

Trust your physican. Like I said my Granddaughter had crusted scabies and had 2 doses and is cured. If you are not getting new spots that continue to spread and do not fade after a day or two and your itching is reducing after a few weeks you are in the right direction. My granddaughter got worse for 2 weeks then very very slowly got better. She is 8 weeks out now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.