Scabies is pushing me over the edge

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a student and got scabies from the people in my dorms who forgot to tell me they had scabies. i had it for about three weeks whilst still in uni and i some what found it managable there but the rashes kept on coming back so i decided to go back home where i could contain it more. However now i have been following a regime of bathing in sulphur soap and changing all my clothes and sheets every night for the past 6 days. however i have not been able to leave this same for for the past week because i dont want to give any of my family what i have. But because of this i feel like i am slowly going insane, i havent been outside and i have hardly anyway to talk to apart from the mites that have imprisoned me in the first place. Although i have been following this strict regime nothing seems to have changed and i feel like i cant keep this up for very much longer.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

For scabies, you need permethrin cream (OTC). Keep putting it on ALL  over - every bit of skin as directed. I also put it on every new itch or feeling of movement. Scabies are not gone until the mite has died and drops off you as a small skin flake with a tiny reddish/brownish creature stuck fast. I have been misdiagonosed and therefore have had these things for 18 months. So I am super infected. What happens is that an eruption seems to heal, but then it reopens or another one comes up close by. I believe this is eggs hatching and making their way to the skin's surface. You can feel them on the surface... they have 20 mins there to mate. Then they burrow back down. Another remedy I found reading the academic literature is clove oil. In the lab 6% clove oil in a carrier oil killed scabies mites. I had massive eruptions (holes!) on my scalp and used it neat (but don't do this on sensitive areas - it burns). Oil is easier to use on the scalp - you onmly need an hour. They healed or scabbed over by next day. The scab (pulled them off) contains the mites and eggs.  Repeat if they are still there. I find if you press and it hurts, you still have something in there. By the way, I never itched except in one place on my hand AFTER using permethrin cream (this reaction is probably why people think the cream makes you itch).I could feel things eating me, but I would not call that an itch. Sometimes I felt an invisible thing bite me on the fingers - leaving no evidence so I was not believed. Doctors dismissed scabies, lice,.... and told me I was delusional. Lab tests of 'skin scrapings' came back negative three times. The only point of seeing a doctor is to get access to Ivermectin - but I have taken it 4 times, and I still had both body lice (I saw several over a year)  and scabies (which I hope to be finally rid off in a another two weeks by using permethrin consistently all over). Hope this helps. Good luck. PS washing is not the main thing with scabies, in my opinion.... just get the cream on you.

• Posted

Patrick:

So sorry for your suffering, I've been through it. Start some form of treatment right away before the mites are entrenched. In the U.S. the most common Rx treatment is premethrin cream. If the cream dosn't work the Doctor may try ivermectin orally.

If you don't want to go to the doctor some folks on YouTube recommend tea tree oil.One advises mix one tablespoon teatree oil in one cup coconut oil and apply all over. Others recommend Neem soap, they feel the soap really works, but has a odor like burnt peanuts.

It can be very difficult to get a correct diagnosis. Scabies looks like acne, bug bites and some allergies. The key is the intense itching that is worse at night.

Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.