scabies scare

Posted , 6 users are following.

so i had a friend over 6 days ago who had been treated for scabies 2 weeks prior to that. He hung out for a while at my apartment, just sitting on the couch and I was on the opposite side of the couch. What are the chances that I contracted scabies? We did not touch at all, but shared the same blanket while we were sitting on the couch talking. I didn't notice him scratching on anything like that... but we went to dinner just 3 days ago and i DID notice him scratching a lot... I'm scared the scabies could get into my couch?? So ive washed all the slip covers and everything, and sprayed the cushions with permethrin... any advice? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You should be okay ! Especially if treated before he was at your house !
  • Posted

Take a Iron and Iron your couch then spray it with the half & half of the window cleaner and amonia.I am not a doctor but to be on the safe side I would keep checking any kind of scratching you do if they become welped up and a red like a pimple  the go see your doctor.in the mean time I would play it safe and wash with Head & Shoulders Shampoo and use the clear tape on it. If you see any black spots on the tape then take a magnify glass and look at to make for sure. You can take benydril for the itching.

concerned person

• Posted

You would have to be pretty unlucky to pick it up that way.  They say that you can pick it up from shared towels etc... but who knows. It usually is bodily contact  It would take about 3 weeks before you would notice any symptoms so in the meantime it may be wise to use a sulphur soap in the shower daily for a while  it's a bit drying  so you could apply a nice body lotion maybe something with coconut oil.  As for him scratching that's understandable because the itching doesn't stop right away, hopefully he did have a follow up treatment? try not to worry until you know you've got something to worry about.

take care   

• Posted

This is true but I ended up getting it from a motorized cart from Wal-Mart, and I know this because I live alone never have company and no contact with anyone at the store, an I have to use the carts everytime I go there. So yes it is rare . I asked my Doctor if skin contact was the only way and he said no, that it can be caught in other ways, and I was one of those unlucky ones. This is very depressing to have because I am not able to go visit with my daughter and grandchildren. And a shamed to go out into public afraid that I could give to someone. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. It is easy to get and hard to get rid of.

concern person

• Posted

Hi clara

It may very well have been that someone else who had scabies used it moments before you did. you would have had to have picked up a male and a female ... becuase the male fertilises the female in a burrow. I do hope you've managed to get rid of it now. ... it's horrible.

take care

Stella

• Posted

Well the inching calmed down a lot with the things I am doing but I keep getting these red welp bumps on one arm, but on the other arm where it originally started has lessen on the red welp bumps, what I had on my chest and back has gone away. I am so sick of this.
  • Posted

If it was possible to pick up scabies as easily as this then almost everyone in the world would be suffering from them and clearly they are not. Don'y worry about it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.