Scalp Folliculitis Experience

Posted , 2 users are following.

I would just like to share my experiences of this horrible scalp folliculitis in the hope it may help others. I have suffered with it for around 4 years now and as such you will all know how depressing that is. I have seen a dermatologist on 3 separate occasions and given various antibiotics such as doxycycline among others and all to no avail. I have tried loads of home remedies some of which give relief but never rid me of it. Being desperate i began my own research into folliculitis and after months of trying i came across a piece from an American website that was dealing with a case of a guy who had it similar to mine and had tried all the things i had. What the found in his case was that he had an infestation of Demodex mites and had Demodex Brevis which they believed was causing the folliculitis. He was given an oral dose of Ivermectin and it cleared up the folliculitis. I researched this and unfortunately Ivermectin is not given in the UK to humans. I discussed this with my GP, who is very understanding, and he informed me for Demodex mites he would use Metronizadole cream or antibiotics. We decided to start off the cream for the scalp and for some areas of my neck where i have some Rosacea. The early signs are fantastic. My head is beginning to stop itching and spots are disappearing.obviously im not out of the woods yet but the early signs look good. So for anybody suffering as I am I would suggest speaking to your GP as Demodex is something they do not immediately link to folliculitis. There is nothing to lose and i hope this post helps somebody to rid themselves of this awful affliction

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.