Scalp Folliculitis Help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 50, live in NW United States. I try to remember to take 10,000 iu Vitamin D every couple of weeks during the Winter which is very dark up here. (More recent studies on Vitamin D shows many of us need a lot higher dosage than previously suggested.) I forgot this year and only took it twice. I didn't spend much time outside this last Summer and Fall which I'm sure exacerbated my deficiency. Haven't gotten a blood test yet. That's the only way to know for sure.

I also have a small bout of Gout on my toe, only second time it has happened (first time was agonizing). The reason I mention this is after days of research I think I there is a realistic possibility I have moderately impaired Kidney function as Folliculitis can also be more common with Kidney Disease. But otherwise my health seems fine with no other noticeable health symptoms.

A couple months ago I got scalp Folliculitis. I missed the cutoff for health insurance this year (didn't realize they moved it from Dec 31 to 15th - I'm Self Employed). So wanted to avoid the doctor visit if possible. Tea Tree shampoo, T-Sal Shampoo and Tea Trea oil on the scalp (1/3 oil, 2/3 water in a little spray pump) along with Turmeric supplements didn't solve it. So I read and read and read about the condition and determined it had to be bacterial that required antibiotics. My son had leftover (unexpired doxycycline from his acne treatment) I read and read more about antibiotics, when and when not to take them, which ones work best for which conditions, and find doxycycline is one of the most recommended antibiotics for the condition (and other skin infections) with relatively low chance of side effects compared to other antibiotics. I took 100mg twice a day 12hrs apart for 14 days (some texts recommended 7-10 days, other said a couple weeks, others said 4-6 weeks.) It was completely clear after about 8-9 days but I went to 14 days realizing the bacteria can still be there after all the symptoms are gone. 5 days after stopping the bumps are very slowly returning. They are like large size acne and can get pretty swollen. After more reading, unfortunately I see recurrence is common and many never get rid of this condition! Yikes!

I really want to avoid the doctor and more antibiotics as from what I read it is very very difficult to make it go away permanently. Most Doctors I'm guessing don't really have a lot of specialized experience treating this specific condition. I found a claim that someone cured it by curing a Vitamin D deficiency! I am going to assume it could be Vitamin D deficiency and give that a try along with keeping on the Tea Tree oil. I've read for hours about Vitamin D before. You can go to 10,000 IU a day without toxicity. It takes about 600,000 IU total dose usually to correct most deficiencies according to studies +/- depending on your level of deficiency. I'm going to try 50,000 IU a week or 10,000 IU 5 out of 7 days a week for a couple months and see if things improve. I'm also going to try Smilax Medica (Sarsaparilla) root powder 1-3g twice a day as another user on here reported that cleared it but like antibiotics it returns. Problem is if it clears I won't know if it was the Vitamin D or the Sarsaparilla but at this point I'm kind of freaked out as I've never experienced any history with folliculitis before so not sure why all the sudden I got it except.. major Vitamin D deficiency! If I have to keep taking the Sarsaparilla I will as I read it doesn't destroy the beneficial gut bacteria (flora) that the antibiotics do which I'm taking Florastor right now to get back after two weeks on doxycycline.

Crossing my fingers it's Vitamin D related. Worst case, I'll have to see the dermatologist, get the liquid from one of the bumps cultured and go on (from what I read) both systemic (pills) antibiotic, probably other than doxycyline (like Cephalexin or Clindamyacin), maybe for several weeks? combined with topical (water based gel) 2% antibiotic (Mupirocin I suspect) as I think that is maybe the only combination that can really cure it but it will take a long time to restore my beneficial gut bacterial. Also heard to put the ointment in your nostrils as the Staph bacteria can "seed" there. But really hoping the Vitamin D will make it go away!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Consultant.

I've had Folliculitis - big ugly painful spots on my scalp that causes bad heads and synus problems for a few years now. I've tried everything from diet medicated and nizoral shampoos . Betnovate scalp application - put on oxtetracycline antibiotics for three months causing me other problems. Don't smoke or drink!

My doctor says I'm going to have to put up with it - that I will probably have it for life.

It really does not go right away these days!

Two weeks ago I had another bad flare up and in desperation - I went to a Dermatologist, he says continue the same treatment and recommended a three month's (low dose) antibiotic LYMECYCLINE 408mg one daily.

I also take a large glass of Kifer two hours or so before bedtime, it is a homemade probiotic to help my my gut bacteria.

My head is improving and my spots are still sore but appear to be drying up and my synusis seem to be clearing.

I am a lover of old cheeses; I think maybe food is my problem. I have not eaten any cheese for a week now. As the old saying goes, " You are what you eat" I would have to do process of elimination

Having said that I saw an eye surgeon today; he told me "it's easier for people to take tablets rather than change their lifestyle and diet"

Best wishes

• Posted

did it work? I have also had a severe problem with my scalp since the age of 13, I am 21 now, still searching for a cure.

• Posted

John 03154.

Hi

Sorry It's taken a while to get back to you.

No it seems nothing really works .

My GP started me on'Dipro Salic Scalp application (Steroid) along with Savlon antiseptic cream to use on the onset of a flair up and it seems to calm it down. I also use Polytar shampoo

twice a week it also helps.

It's all trial and error these days I'm afraid.. antibiotics do not work and can cause other problems

I know that scratching will stop hair growth and you end up with bald patches

Sorry to be negative, Hope this has been of some help for you. Pat

• Posted

i suffered with Tufted Folliculitis for 10+ years. after years of expensive treatments and shampoos i eventually tried normal head and shoulders. To my suprise after a few weeks it started to clear up. I used to get 10-20 boils at any one time to the extent i could not lie on a pillow. Now its one to two spots per week.

I found not using any anti bacterial products were a big help due to them drying my skin out and making it worse.

I hope this can hep someone as it took me 10+ years to find a relief to this horrible condition

• Posted

I have had folliculitis over 30 years, but not in areas where I use head and shoulders. i recently read folliculitis can be caused by a yeast infection and the suggested action (by Cleveland Clinic, I think) was to use dandruff shampoo on the affected areas. I now use generic head and shoulders as a body wash. I also use generic lotrimin to control my bad areas.

I have also stopped taking antibiotics for my skin as I have read long term use often leads to yeast infections like: thrush, vaginal yeast infection, jock itch, athlete's foot, and general yeast infections on the skin. Once I stopped the antibiotic, I started getting debris from some spots deep in my skin. I thought this meant I should resume the antibiotic in the past. Now I believe the antibiotic caused the deep infection and my skin is rejecting the infection once I stop taking the antibiotic.

I use gold bond rough and bumpy skin cream to soften hard/crusty spots, exfoliate, and debris. Ointments with silver can help against bacterial or fungal infections. Petroleum jelly kept on a spot can be useful to soften and relieve pressure. Rubbing hand sanitizer with aloe on a spot can get a lot of debris out, also.

It's hard to find documentation but nematodes, or round worms, can also cause folliculitis. There's a simple oral prescription you can take to see if it helps with your condition. It blocks the nematodes from getting the sugars they need to live. I wonder if it has an effect on yeast by blocking sugar to it also. I had quite a skin reaction when I took the medicine, but the folliculitis came right back.

Lotrimin is the only treatment that has caused my bad areas to get better quickly and heal normally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.