Scaphoid fracture

Posted , 2 users are following.

I fell four weeks ago whilst running and fell over the dog ! Painful hand couldn't move wrist back or grip so went to a and e. Confirmed break on xray. Put in back slab for ten days and then changed to a cast which I am in til end of November. Had a lot of swelling initially, pain going up arm and pins and needles in third and little fingers. Still get the tingling on and off in those fingers, not got full sensation in thumb and still have pain in thumb on and off - is this normal. Try to move and wiggle fingers, swelling subsides over day or once elevated but skin feels sore across thumb pad lower palm of hand when I stretch and move fi gets, is that normal ? End of ulna bone and side of hand often feels sore too which doc said could be ligaments. Should I be getting it checked out again. I can't do much with that hand at all, I'm right handed and it's my right wrist I've done so am struggling

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Is the pain getting better or worse?

Has the fracture always been non-displaced?

At your last X-ray - How did they say the healing process was going?

• Posted

I wouldn't say the pain is any worse but it doesn't feel much better. Only had xra y in a and e, break was across I think just over half way down the bone and non displaced, also a vertical crack not adjoining break.

• Posted

They signed me off work for 8 weeks that's allowing two week recovery from cast coming off end Nov but I cant see me being able to as I do home care work and need to drive. I am struggling to wash and dress my disabled son let alone anyone else! Cannot put pressure on thumb at all, not helped by the fact I've knocked my hand and cast a few times

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.