Scapholunate ligament repair possible failure...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a scapholunate ligament tear and can give me some insight.

I was hurt the end of April at work(I'm an education assistant and worked with high needs student on the autism spectrum) I had surgery done the end of July, exactly 3 month after the injury. Since the injury I have had intense pain that hasn't gone away even 5 months after surgery. It is constant. Through pain meds and therapy there is still no relief.

2 weeks ago I felt a pop and the pain is now worse than ever! I can feel it clunking and grinding again. Finding it difficult to sleep and even get my wrist into a position where I don't feel like I could puke from the pain.

So I guess my question is has anyone else had this injury and if so what was your recovery Like?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry this is happening to you.  It sounds just horrible.  What the heck does your doctor have to say??  How about a second opinion?  That might be helpful.
    • Posted

It's all through wcb since it happened at work. The regular Dr I've been seeing is great, since hurting it again she's ordered xrays to see if anything has changed and then I guess I'll wait and see what my surgeon through wcb says when I see him the end of next month.

• Posted

Hi.

I had my surgery in September of last year.

I also felt a pop and the grinding and clunking. I had x-rays done and was told the repair had failed. I have seen my team on several occasions since this happened and have been told that the gap is widening very quickly. At the first visit (after the "pop"wink, my surgical team spoke to me about doing a proximal row carpectomy in 3 years. At my last visit, the surgical team has decided that the surgery should be done now. They even spoke about fusing the wrist. At this point I am trying to research my options. I have been told that Dr. Charles Goldfarb in St. Louis is an excellent surgeon. He is doing a new technique, where he uses an internal brace (rather than a ligament) for the repair. 

At this point I have been put on Cymbalta to help with pain and depression (caused by the pain). It has helped take the edge of the pain.

I certainly wish I could be more helpful. If I find any information out there in cyber space, I will gladly share.

I hope you recover quickly. 

• Posted

So good of you to have information for Patricia.  It sounds like the two of you are going through a difficult time.  Good information is the key and it sounds like you have done your research.  Do you know what you are going to do now?  How were you injured?  I had never broken a bone until 2 years ago in my late 60's and both of your troubles make me glad that mine was a simple Jones fracture of the 5th metatarsal.  I wish you both well.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.