Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

can u get help on the nhs for camouflage makeup to cover surgical scars that are visible? 

0 likes, 8 replies


8 Replies

  • Posted

    Have you looked on the NHS website?  It looks as though it is possible but your GP needs to refer you to a Dermatologist but it really depends on the size and situation of the scars.

    Have you asked your GP?

    I know that Dermatology waiting lists are extremely long.

    • Posted


      its from the bottom palm of hand to just less than half way up towards elbow..i havent asked my gp yet just thought id ask advice on here a nursing student and when working in mental health setting a few patients have asked me if my scar is through self harming..starting to feel rather self conscious about it x

    • Posted

      Perhaps you could talk to your tutor, or maybe you could look on the positive side, it gets your patients talking when perhaps they might not have done.
    • Posted

      yes that probably makes my patients feel a bit more relaxed around contact my gp and see what he says..i live in scotland and its like postcode lottery as to what treatment u can receive x
  • Posted

    Hi Elaine ~

    I have so many scars from surgery after an auto accident.  There is a product in the US but I'll bet if you're in the UK you can purchase it through Amazon.  The name of the product is Mederma Scar Gel but it's strips of a tape that is in a neutral color.  Also there is Dermaflage that is a concealer makeup.  Find it at ... double check via Google for the web address.  It may be different if you're in the UK.  I found results with the Mederma Scar Gel...but you have to be consistent and paitent. 

    My few scars on my neck from biopsies, neck surgery and the implantation of the "greenfield filter" have been lightened to the point I'm not self conscious because it looked like I was attacked with a knife which I was but it was by the doctor and for surgery; not an attack by a perpetrator in the streets.  Geesh that was long and hard to word. 

    I also have a 22 inch scar on my back with a 9 inch scar parallel to the 22 inch.  I'm not going to bother with that.  I'll just mark that one up as my hard luck wounds and wear them with dignity.  HaHa! I was considering a tattoo of something to hide it but I'm probably to old to bother with that and too many health issues.  Just a wonderful thought.  I love body art (aka tattoos).

    Anyway, the long and the short of it is...for me, Mederma Gel Strips worked wonders.  You can get it through Amazon.  Let me know, if you do purchase it, how it's working for you.



    Emis Moderaotr comment: I have removed the direct link as we do not publish links to commercial sites. Googling the product name will return the web site.


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up