Scar causing discomfort months after hip replacement.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've always been told that the tingling/burning sensation I've had for months is because of nerve damage but a new GP has suggested it might be caused by the operation scar. Did anyone else have these problems and if it is from the incision, did it ever go away? I've had it for over a year. It's hardly the most serious post op. problem, but it is annoying and it's always there.

carol

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol,

At 8 months post op I can still feel the occasional tingling around the scar area also, a tightness there when I bend over. I just assume it is the healing process but, I hope it does not continue too long.

• Posted

my burning sensation isn't on the surface. I can press the scar area and it's fine. No tightness when I move either. The burning sensation feels like it's deep inside the buttock. Trying to understand how this can be but they cut very deep so maybe the incision can cause it. The scar is on the side not the back so it's affecting more than the immediate scar area. The burning/tingling started 6 months after the operation and has never gone. No wonder I'm confused! Wish they could tell you for definite.

• Posted

That sounds incredibly frustrating! IT's so crazy with this surgery, you just never know what kind of obstacles you'll encounter, I have read so many different things from different people. Hang in there, my prayers are with you.

• Posted

Hi there! I am at 9 months post op THR and the burning, tingling sensation is completely gone. What bothers s my lower back. Especially when I over do it.

• Posted

Hi Carol. I had the burning scalding sensation about an inch below the incision, covering about a 3cm x 3cm surface area for about 6 days immediately after surgery. It only happened when I moved a certain way. Thank goodness it has gone away as it was really frustrating and painful even though it was a short-lived burst of a sensation. I can truly sympathize with you,I hope you can find some relief. I attributed it to nerves that were healing.

• Edited

Hi Carol,

I had total hip replacement revision 5 yrs ago. I was not recovering like i should have tried to go back to work at 6months after surgery. I could hardly make it through 2 hours went back to my surgeon and he sent me to neurologist that doctor ordered test called EMG which showed sciatic nerve damage from surgical site. unable to go back to work and been on disability ever since I have back pain going down my left leg top of my left foot is numb cant stand or sit for long periods of time nerve pain is the worst pain . The doctor told me if the nerve damage doesn't repair within 3 years I will have permanent nerve damage. I'm not saying this is what you have but I would suggest you get referred to neurologist and tell him or her your symptoms . In my case my surgeon knew what he did , but didn't tell me . You should not have nerve pain after hip replacement or revision there is possibility you may get nerve damage and I had to sign paper disclosing that , but i didn't get nerve damage with my first hip replacement so I went in to the revision thinking it wouldn't happen to me and you would think my doctor would of admitted what had happened. I should of looked for doctor that specialized in hip revisions . I hope you get answers please let me know how you are

Thanks

Jackie

• Posted

Srry to hear your light and I must say I regret getting the hip replacement ever done. I was however fine for the first 2 years and just recently am having issues which may or may not be related to the hip surgery. Good luck with it all.

• Posted

From what you describe, it sounds like nerve damage.

I have had 3 ops now, and I have a 'dead spot' between the posterior and lateral scars which tingles a bit due to cut nerves. I just keep massaging it with Bio oil, and go through a sauna/spa cycle each time I finish at the gym. The water jets on the area seem to help, which is just like massaging it anyway.

Considering what they do in the operation, it's hardly surprising we get a few aches and pains afterwards, but it's so much better than the OA pain I had before.

• Posted

you're right of course. And it's just annoying discomfort rather than pain. i broke a pain free hip so I'm cross about any problems i have as i just want my old hip back! Will try massage and oils.

• Posted

Yes, I commiserate with your dismay, but for me it has started about two years after the total hip replacement and is currently a real painful problem for me. My condition is being aggravated by stenosis and several herniated discs for which I received an epidural in L5/S1 about a week ago. I I am beginning to think I might have several issues concerning left side of my body form my lower back into the pelvic area and then shooing into the buttocks and often down to the ankle and the area just above and below the ankle. Of course this is classic sciatica, but sciatica can be caused by different things. I had a lot of scar tissue under the skin in the quad beneath the incision which was anteriorly done. The last 8-9 weeks have been a nightmare for me as far as pain and mobility. I think there is a lot of scar tissue deeper n the muscles the surgeon may have had to cut or heavily "man-handle" so to speak and it might be pressing against some of the sciatic nerves as it hardened more and more. Starting PT again and also waiting t=for the epidural to give me some relief and that is a maybe. Hang in the Carol and keep seeking some medical professional who can pinpoint what the issue is and how to heal it.

• Posted

I'm 9 weeks post op i had the electric shock feeling in the early days that's the nerve endings trying to find each other but they won't, half of it is numb same like my appendix scar.

Now I feel the lower half of the scar is sore especially of I lie down on non-operative side. Probably shouldn't do it yet its all still healing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.