Scar creams after TKR's?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Several people's posts talked about the scars from their TKR's. Some talked about how sensitive they were and some talked about trying to heal them.

I have a double TKR coming up and would greatly appreciate everyone's advice on creams I could order now to ease sensitivity (I'll have to start wearing suits or dresses again 6 weeks after surgery) and to help the scars heal.  Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Make sure that you inform your car insurers of your operation(s) when you intend to start driving again, too.
    • Posted

This is a very good point patsyrose. If the Insurance decide that one is not actually fit to drive, they will not pay out if an accident, however small, occurs and infact one could be  prosecuted.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your suggestions. Your caring and concern are so evident. I have to teach that 2-day class but will ensure there are plenty of exercises so I can stand and sit frequently. I'll ask my husband to go with me to drive and help me in the hotel and with the set up.  After the course is done, I'll take another month off to continue healing. And I've already looked to see where to buy bio oil and will remember to ask about massage.

ALIT, I'm also having the personalized cutting blocks. I'm having an epidural. What post-op pain management techniques were helpful to you?  I figured they would leave the epidural in for pain management but have read that some have also had femoral blocks in addition to the epidural and their pain management enabled them to gain greater range of movement while still in the hospital.  Wasn't sure if they would do that for a bilateral -- it's a lot of work.

• Posted

Re you first paragraph - I feel more comfortable about your 2-day teaching day now. smile Good luck.
    • Posted

I also had a spinal block / epidural during surgery, which was removed before I came out of surgery.  They inserted a small tube in each femoral nerve, and I was on Femoral nerve block drips for about 3 days.  I think these were very effective in reducing post op pain, and helped with getting into the Physio pain free.  I was given only a small dose oxycodone for additional pain relief, but I found I didn't need many of these.  I continued on small doses of oxycodeine for only a few weeks post op. I was very surprised that I did not suffer much pain.  
    • Posted

Epidural and femur blocks are very temporary. 24-48 hrs depending on the surgeon. I have had both and found the femoural block best for me. They start oral pain meds within a few hours after surgery so they are well into the blood stream when the block is discontinued. If you have the femoural block, be well aware of how numb the leg actually remains. When I had my revision I thought I knew the deal well. The next day I decided to do a little more than I should on my own. The leg have way and I fell and broke my femur.......back to surgery and a plate from hip to knee was inserted along with 8 screws. That was the beginning of a long bumpy road. Everyone is so very different and you sort of have to look at the entire gamit and shoot for somewhere in the middle as a recovery. I am now rehabing the knee for the 5th time and have had 11 surgeries. My problem started 13 years ago yesterday when a rere tumor literally blew up and my knee hemmorage. I'm on my 3rd prosthesis and have also had radiation. The 2 biggest nemesis of joint replacement, blood clotting and staph infection are the biggest dangers. I have had 2 different types staph and total of 3 times. I go to a university medical center with a entire new orthopedic center so its not like I'm at a disease ridden medieval torture chamber. You will do great and it's good you are taking more time off afterwards. Just remember to rest every time you have a chance. Again, this is a tough surgery and it takes a or out of you mentally as well as physically
  • Posted

hi busterbeans no way will you be able for work at 6wks after bi lateral (tboth knees) even if the op which i sincerly hope all goes well  i had both done almost 3yrs ago things didnt go completely the way i planned im not trying to scare you but there is no guarantee that all will go well sometimes one knee can give more bother than the other its a huge op on one knee never mind both you probably are going this route for the same reason as i did one op one recovery !!! i wish i didnt to be honest 99% go fantastic but even then it takes time to settle down swelling /bend/straightening& pain from all .if anything goes wrong you litterly dont have a leg to stand on i think the sensitivity is the least of the problems just give some of this thought but i do wish you the very best
  • Posted

Hi BussterBeans, I had the same surgery done that you are going to have done a year ago and I have to say at 6 weeks my knees where still very sensetive to touch of anything,my knees are now less sensetive to touch, messaging my knees was not fun either, I did use vit E oil and it did help a lot with the scars, unforntaly my scars are noticable to this day. I do have to agree with everyone who has said that at 6 weeks going back to work or teaching a class is going to be very hard, if you can stick with dresses and I wish the best of luck on this and to please be careful. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.