Scar experience from shingles and exposure to sun

Posted , 3 users are following.

Greetings all,

I had shingles 3 months ago and it seems like the pain has finally gone away. Currently, I am stuck with these black dotted scars below my chest and back that is a size of small period. Has anybody here experience this? And have a way to reduce and fade these scars?

Also is it true that sun exposure will possibly reactivitate the shingles?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Rob,

In a certain percentage of patients, ultraviolet light does reactivate or trigger herpes zoster shingles and herpes simplex.

I would see a dermatologist regarding the "black dotted" scars. The scars are still fresh and should fade away, but the black dots have me puzzled. The scarring depends on how deep the rash went into the dermal layers of thr skin, and other factors such as age, condition of skin, collagen disorders, medical conditions, etc.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Rob, I'm pretty certain that exposing the scars to the sun will make it difficult to fade away with time. I have read a few tips on how to help the scars fade away ; keep the scars location moisturised regularly with good quality moisturiser products that contain EFAs, dimethicone silicone,

I have also read that you can use Salicylic acid cream if your scars are raised, I'm going to try this anyway once my scars completely dried up. Also my advice is to keep searching for further information on the Web, there are plenty of useful tips on how to help your scars to heal.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks for the response guys. I'll be going on vacation with my wife for our 1 year anniversary to Hawaii in two weeks so it's going to be hard avoiding the sun.

• Posted

Rob,

I would purchase a couple of swim shirts from Lands' End to wear at the beach and hats, to protect your face. The UV rays are strong in Hawaii, as you know, and these will afford extra protection. The Lands' End shirts are very comfortable.

Congratulations on your anniversary and have fun!

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.