Scar indent from anterior hip replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello, i am new to this forum. i noticed that there were several posts (mostly posted 7 years ago) associated with a dip in their scar after the anterior approach., feeling pain at the scar site etc...Well, its 2022 and it happened to me. i have done a lot of research on this and what i have learned and been told in my case is it might not have been the best approach for people who are small (i am 5'1") and have small bones. as we know the anterior approach is touted as "less invasive" than posterior BUT it does no provide the best view as with posterior approaches. bottom line with someone who is small or has small bones, it makes more sense to do the posterior approach because it gives the surgeon a better view. recently i was told by a pain management doctor that he thought the surgeon may have cut out a piece of muscle which caused my thigh muscle to drop (which now appears as this lump below the incision) something that some folks have been told by their surgeon its "muscle remodel" i believe the surgeon just chose the wrong approach! also, there are websites that address "very small people" and they say different equipment is required to perform a hip replacement. One more thing...if your groin still hurts it could be because a very small nerve was cut or enchroched which they can do a nerve block with can provide some relief but it is not long lasting. Its funny (but not) right before i went into surgery, my surgeon said ' wow, you have very small bones' !

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i have the same indent scar and it feels like a hard 'lump' inside as though i am sitting on something. i still cannot walk properly with tge pain and it also feels numb. i havent had any contact with the consultant since my op as told they too busy so have another 3 weeks to wait and gad op 16 weeks ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.