Scar massage

Posted , 14 users are following.

I can find very little advice anywhere about this. I have a very dry skin and really want to get some massage cream onto my THR scar as soon as is sensible.

Had my staples out a week ago (op was three and a half weeks ago) and everything is healed well on the surface.

American and NZ sites recommend Weleda wound massage cream but I can't locate it here. Any other suggestions, please?

Joan

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had my THR at christmas and started using bio oil as suggested by other friends on this site. My wife rubs the oil in each night before bed - and because I cannot actually see the area easily she reports that after six weeks the staple marks are almost gone and the actual scar is fading well.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Bio oil has been ordered!

Joan

• Posted

Looks like I need to look into this bio oil stuff LOL

• Posted

My understanding is when you are actually massaging your scar you should not use any cream or oil because we need the friction of our fingers (thumbs) to manipulate the scar tissue. I due my scar massage first (5 minutes) and then put vitamin E oil on scar and all of the awful dry skin surrounding it. My surgeon only recommends vitamin E oil - apparently it helps with collagen regeneration.

Along with scar massage recommendations from PT I have found some wonderfully instructional videos on YouTube, I was surprised to learn scar massages help with ROM I always thought it was just to help with the appearance so did not do them with my two hip replacements. I do my scar massages at least three (3) times a day - anything to help with ROM.

Good luck.I was only asked to wait until no visible openings in scar - sounds like you are there.

• Posted

I agree that bio-oil is great and really helps.

• Posted

Hi Joan

I've heard Bio Oil suggested for massaging your scar tissue but it is relatively expensive. The Physio where I had my hip done said not to bother with the expense of Bio Oil. Just use any standard moisturising cream that your skin will tolerate.

He said that it is the mechanical effect of your fingers on the scar tissue that provides the means of breaking it down. So any vehicle really that will allow your fingers to travel smoothly over the skin will do the trick.

I must own up to the fact that I was a bit remiss myself with the scar massaging and I'm suffering the consequences even 16 months after surgery. I still cannot lie on my operated side at night without some discomfort which I believe is due to underlying scar tissue that should have been massaged after the operation. I did some massaging but not for very long.

So my advice is find a cream you can tolerate and get massaging

• Posted

Hi i am 3 weeks today into my 2nd THR.

For both i have used Arnica cream. Also helps with bruising

• Posted

Hello Joan. Bio is great but not recommended until the scar is less pink as it is still perfumed slightly. Suggest e45 or something similar for another couple of weeks and then include the Bio oil. I was advised nothing perfumed until 5 to 6 weeks as wound still susceptible to infection so choose something less perfumed first off especially if you have sensitive skin. After a couple of months Bio oil will be great and does reduce scarring. Hope this helps

Helen

• Posted

I also used bio oil immediately after my RTHR and it was brilliant. Now over 2 years later I use aveeno lotion to massage the scar area daily and as a general moisturiser.

• Posted

i use bio oil its fantastic i am a midwife and my women use it on their section scars.

good luck

• Posted

i use bio oil its fantastic i am a midwife and my women use it on their section scars.

good luck

• Posted

In answer to the comment that Bio oil is expensive. It is about £10 but I've had mine for months, so well worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.