Scar on retina causes weird flashes of light

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey there,

due to a past infection with Toxoplasmosis gondii I have a little scar on my retina in the right corner of my right eye for about 4 years now. For the first 2 years I could barely notice it and therefore luckily could forget about it. Since about 2 years a weird flickering and light flashing occurred in exactly the area where the scar is, it often times also goes far beyond the area of the scar. I barely can notice it when getting up in the morning and in the first hours of the day, but then it starts to bother me when I am physically or mentally active, especially (for example) in these cases:

-when working in front of a computer screen

-when focussing my eyes on specific objects, like for example when cutting vegetables for dinner or when driving the car and focussing on the road

-when coming from outside daylight into a darker room

It also somehow relates to not moving my eyes. When I focus a point, the flicker and flashes get stronger and stronger and then also can start to become bigger than the scar itself and blind out more and more space in my peripheral vision.

I can however get rid of it for a short period of time when I cover my eyes with my hands and wait for 1-2 minutes. When I then open my eyes again, I have a few minutes where it is barely noticeable, before it starts again.

I went to several doctors and unfortunately nobody had a clue or could help me. It is extremely annoying in my every-day life and it baffles me, why it occurred years after the scar. Makes me think that there is also a way to get rid of it again and to just having the scar and a small loss of peripheral vision.

If anyone could help in any way, I would be very very very thankful!

Also I would love to hear if someone has similar symptoms.

Thanks a lot in advance!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.