Scar problems

Posted , 7 users are following.

Am I the only one who has a weird looking scar. It looks bumpy and is red and pink. I am 13 weeks in from my tkr. From the knee down it looks normal but from the knee up it is raised. I don't know how else to explain it.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

They always look worse straight. When you bend it the stretch takes out all the wrinkles. I've always used a high grade Vit E oil (any pharmacy should have it) . massage it in with your thumbs. It heals to the bone
  • Posted

Mine was really ugly until it began to fade last month. I am nearly a year post surgery with #1TKR and 8 months with #2 which is still pretty pink and blue at times and less so at other times.

Rub it as you are putting on lotion. Be patient. Think of it as your own personal Badge of Courage!

• Posted

Hi jeanne

My sister bought me a bottle of Nourish skin oil with arnica, lavender, coconut oil etc.and I massage it into the scars once or twice a week. I am at 11 weeks and my scars are pretty good for what they involved. Some folks scar badly and some not so. I am proud I survived the operation and first weeks so I wear my scars with pride. They are not beautiful but they are mine. I wouldn't want them on my face though! 

• Posted

I too am 11 weeks. My scar below the knee is quite faint, however above the knee is more raised and quite pink purplish, I am massaging bio oil into whole knee area but really well into scar.

The weather is gorgeous here at the moment and I put shorts on yesterday, when my mum saw me in them she was shocked and said everyone can see your knee!!!! My reply it's my knee and sorry everyone will have to get used to it, She was horrified I had come down to her house like that.

• Posted

Hi, I'm 7 weeks and since my scar had fully healed I've been massaging it with Vaseline, and it's a pale pink. I'm quite pleased really, I expected it to be red and angry for months more. 
  • Posted

Hi Jeanne, my first TKR was 15 months ago, and for at least the first 10 months I called my scar the "Purple Angry Worm"!! It looked exactly as it sounded lol! Every scar is different, and the bit below my knee is virtually invisible. The "Worm" has calmed down a bit, and is now just a bit grumpy rather than permanantly angry lol
    • Posted

I do like your description of it mine is exactly the same how are you doing 
    • Posted

I'm getting there, slowly! My 2nd knee is doing really well, but I've got a problem with the first one, and I'm waiting for a bone scan to see if they can work out what's going on. I also had Carpal Tunnel surgery 2 days ago, so I'm feeling frustrated at not being able to do stuff - it's my right (dominant) hand, massively bandaged and in a sling, and I use a walking stick a lot of the time in my left hand, so I'm pretty useless right now! Can't even use my enforced rest to do crafting etc, which I'm not very good at although I'm very enthusiastic!
    • Posted

Hope they get it sorted for you my first knee is fine but struggling getting the other one straight physio said it will get there just got to work on it due back at work in 3 weeks so will see how it goes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.