Scar tissue after TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone else had problems with scar tissue forming quickly?

I had a knee replacement in April and then had to have a 

Manipulation done inJuly. Can get flexion now of 116 but can NOT get it straight. Also have quad lag. Ugh! Looking at another surgery to clean out scar tissue and another manipulation!

i had trouble with scar tissue when I had my other knee replacement a few years ago. It is just SO frustrating! I can not be the only one!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda, I have the same problem, I had my TKR on 6th

Jan and had a MUA done on the 12th April, saw my consultant last week

and he said I have a build up of scar tissue. My kneecap keeps sticking and he says it's catching on the scar tissue. He's going to wait till next Feb to see if there's any improvement before doing any more surgery. Before the MUA my bend was only 68, after it was 90. I managed to get it to 110 with the help of my PT but even though I still do the exercises my bend has decreased to 90 so it's looking like another operation for me, he even mentioned doing a replacement all over again. Chin up Linda we are in the same boat ,stay in touch and let me know how you get on

Best wishes Glynis xx

• Posted

My Doctor is going to do orthoscopic surgery to try to clear out the scar tissue. Then he will do another manipulation. My body tends to make Scar Tissue so fast. Long story but I have had 3, yes 3 total knee replacement in my left knee. Everything that could go wrong went wrong with the first two and I had to go out of state to get a doctor to put the third one in and to fix the mess up. What he did then, which I have never heard of before, was to send me to the cancer center immediately before surgery and have a dose of radiation on my knee. I then went into surgery. I was told this was very helpful and cutting down on scar tissue. That has been about 7 years ago. Now when I had this one done in April they said that they do not do that anymore. I've been in physical therapy 3 times a week. I push myself to the limits. I get to a point that I can't go no more because of the pain in one certain spot in my knee cap. If it wasn't for that one little painful area I believe I could really get that knee down. They tried given an injection of a numbing medicine like lidocaine in my knee last week. It just wore off within 24 hours so that didn't do anything. So now they're saying surgery...ugh!

• Posted

Hi Linda, my tkr was Nov. 16, of last year. I had manipulation Mar. 4. Never got much more than 105 rom, but leg is straight. I have pain to some degree all the time. I went to therapy through the end of April, then decided it was doing no good. I have nerve pain in the knee and also my ankle. Drives me crazy! Dr says it's probably scar tissue causing pain and pressing on the nerve. The only option he gives me is more surgery. Did you have surgery to remove scar tissue with your first tkr?

• Posted

Yes, I had to have a manipulation within 2 wks of my TKR. I can get to 120 now. Get in a pool. It really helps
    • Posted

I have a pool at the house. I am in it almost every day. A lot of times it just makes my legs swell so much. I've even tried the hot tub but it swells a lot too

• Posted

I'm in the UK and at no time has the PT or anybody else even mentioned scar tissue from day 1 ! I'm now wondering if it is an issue with my inability to get past 90 deg flrxion. I see my surgeon for the first time tomorrow after 8 weeks so i will ask him.

Dave

• Posted

Hi Linda

I had scar tissue build up and couldn't get a good bend so I had MUA manipulation 8 months later which didn't help

I'm now awaiting revision and possible 2nd TKR

Try gentle massage see if that helps?

You're still early days yet so try not to worry

Regards

Christine

TKR Nov 2014

• Posted

I do worry because I had 3 total knee replacements in my left leg already.

I stress that the same thing will happen. I form scar tissue so bad. I wish there was something to stop it from growing so fast..

• Posted

Hi Linda. My name is Kat. I had a TKR on my left Knee 1-10-17 and I am fixing to get Scar Tissue cleaned out and Cauterized in exactly1 month from today 7-11-17
    • Posted

Kathleen,

What feeling did youbjavebinnyoir knee to determine scar tissue. I had a partial knee replacement Jan 2016 and now June 2017 my knee is so tight.. it's been tight the whole time but seems to be getting tighter. It feels like a rubber band inside my knee.???

Thanks

• Posted

Kathleen, that is how both my knees felt with scar tissue, it hampers movement and in some instances, the knee will lock and not bend further. ...then you get the bent knees MUAs help but not in cases where knees were bent before surgery.
  • Posted

So sorry you are having such a problem with scar tissue, it can be extremely painful as well and in some cases it may have a heredity component to developing scar tissue. I had my first knee replacement in 2013, had horrible bruising, pain, swelling and blistering of my leg, scar tissue started forming at week 5 post op. I had two MUAs on that knee and still have a bent knee. Then in sept of 2017 I had the 2nd knee replacement, same healing pattern, am about to have an MUA on this one. When you reach a point where scar tissue prevents you from doing PT as in my case, the manipulation is necessary. I have been told by three PTs that my legs will be bent no matter what. I bought a scooter, am not going to let this keep me from going out, I just adjust!
  • Posted

Hi Linda. My daughter has similar experience to you. Have you found anymore treatments that stop the scar tissue formation. Are any doctors using the radiation still? Thanks for any info.

• Posted

Hello. Yes, had tkr on left knee in November 2017 & scar tissue built up fast ------ you can use Vitamim E lotion to massage knee scar and surrounding areas. Some ppl use Alogen. Doctor can prescribe steroid if you want to take them. Hope this helps...good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.