Scar tissue in urethra- does it always hurt?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I sustained an injury to the penile part of my urethra- just under the meatus, and then slightly below that.

It was a few months ago and is healing slowly. I'm pretty sure there is some scar tissue there but I have no real trouble voiding, apart from occasional splaying.

My question is- if there is a scar tissue in that penile part of the urethra- will it always hurt, for instance if I'm wearing non baggy pants- even if the wound heals?

Is there anyone here who has scar tissue in that area, where it doesn't now hurt? 

Would appreciate any response, thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I too have an injury to my urethra. I also suffer from chronic nerve pain from going so long without treatment for pain in that area.

I would suggest two things. Get on a nerve pain medication if pain is an issue. Something like neurontin or lyrica. It has helped me.

The next thing is make sure your urine is not terribly acidic. Buy Ph test kits off ebay. If your urine is very acidic it may irritate scar tissue. I keep my urine very alkaline by drinking a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. Especially before bed when urine tends to get concentrated. I also take an over the counter acid reducer.

Hope this helps. Let me know jpw it goes.

• Posted

Hi Rachael,

thanks for your reply.

I read your discussion a few weeks ago and also can't wear clothes that aren't baggy.

I'm not sure the issue with me is scar tissue though. I suffered a significan injury about 7 months ago and didn't give it time to heal. 

Am undertaking a period of total abstinence now, and after 10 days I am feeling what I think is significant healing. I read an article where surgeons recommended 90 days abstinence after surgery, so I will try for that.

I am not sure my issue is a car tissue, as the area feels different at different times. At times it feels tender, like tissue that is healing, then it feels harder like a scab.

As I am abstaining the pain is not bad at all right now. I hope it is just in need of a long period of abstinence and can heal fully.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.