Scar tissue tool?

Posted , 5 users are following.

has anyone heard of special tools to break up scar tissue?  I just heard of this today, and I'm taking a proactive approach to healing.  Did some research but haven't seen anything that is on point.  Anybody?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Scar tissue responds to massage and movement/bending the knee to more than 90 degrees. Or it did for me. It felt weird when it tore! Kind of like a zipper! I am not familiar with any device to remove scar tissue other than lasers perhaps. There are machines like passive movement devices but I have been fortunate and after 8 months don't appear to have any scar tissue, after bilateral tkr's in March 2016. Ask your physiotherapist perhaps. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Judy, on my hip, PT used a tool similar to a rolling pin. I bought one on Amazon. Since my knee is bonier, my new PT is using a tool that looks like a cable with a needle-like end that has a variable electric current. Have no idea of the tools name and I'm not sure I described it very well.

• Posted

For over the knee cap and around the scar itself, I had a therapist use something that looked like an ulu knife, but it was dull, and they scraped away from the scar forcefully in all directions.  I think it helped my knee cap to be able to move some.  Also any bumps just under the skin get ironed out.  I do this now with the back of my thumb nail.  Some people kneel on it.  FOr bending past the resistance, I used hot water in the tub with the sprayer over my knee and it helped with the pain.
  • Posted

I have used hard foam roller but the best thing is an 18 or 24" roller. I bought one from Amazon for under $20 and use it a couple of times a day. You have to start slowly and lightly because it hurts like He'll by gradually it willloosen things up. I fell the day after my revision and twisted the the femur into at a 20° angle break outside to inside. I had to have a hip to knee plate inserted and held in place with 4 screws that went all the way through the bone and 4 two inch screws that's t went into the femur at the knee. That was in for 10 months and had to be removed because of irritation of the skin on the knee. I had a 3" incision at the hip and 2" incisions 1/2 way. between knee and hip and at the knee. Terrible scar tissue as the leg was immobilized for 6 weeks. The roll has cleaned up 80% of it. Again......be very careful with the pressure. I don't want you at my door in The middle of the night with a baseball bat looking for revenge

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.