Scar tissue twinges 7 weeks on ....

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I had my THR seven weeks ago and am doing pretty much as good as it gets, or normal, whatever that is. However, after I've been walking a while, maybe a mile or two - which feels great, I find afterwards there's a sort of tugging, pulling feeling behind the scar, and this feels even worse when I sit down. Is this normal? I'm quite a light weight at just 7 stone so imagine my muscles are near the surface and less protected than someone a healthier size, but just wondered if anyone else has this? Thanks! Marianne

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sally and I are also 7 weeks post op.

If you have walked quite a distance try using an icepack straight after to reduce the swelling - that should help reduce the tugging on the scar. Also, has anyone advised you to massage the scar with e45 or similar cream. It isnt all the comfortable but it helps to break down the scar tissue

Well done though, sounds as if you are doing really well.

• Posted

im 7 weeks tomorrow im 9 stone and no fat on my legs and ive felt this occasionally so it could be everything just knitting back together , im not worried at this stage , have you tried massaging the scar area gently with oil? i use coconut oil and it helps to soften it all up

• Posted

I have been experiencing the same thing. I am still having knee pain which is not affecting my other good hip. I get my MRI results this week. YAY

• Posted

i would be interested to hear what they say about your knee. The knee on my operated hip actually causes me more probs than my hip. I put it down to change of gait but I wonder what they will say about yours.

• Posted

Yes me too damaris.m. I had NO knee pain prior to my surgery ever. I have been in contant acute pain for over 7 weeks now. My new night hip which was done last January 22 is also being affected since my gait is like a 105 human. I am a very active person. I was hoping to go back to work at the 8 week mark, but that clearly is not going to happen. I will take the full 90 day leave now. Hopefully I will hear from my surgeon today or tomorrow, I know he is in the OR now.

• Posted

i am five months post op. heavy scar tissue. still pulling and stinging. sometimes burning like sunburn

• Posted

As mentioned before on these forums,people think they can start off doing walks, cycling, swimming etc where they left off et, this is not the case , you have had major surgery on one of the biggest parts in the human body, your muscles and tendons have been stretched, pulled, and cut , there is bruising and swelling not to mention the trauma on the rest of your body, The new hip that you have had fitted has to be accepted by the rest of your body, just like a prosthetic arm, or leg.

Going for 2 mile walks or swimming, cycling every day or so is not going to do you and the new hip any favours whatsoever, you must take one day at a time to carefully and gradually build up strength in the hip area.

Every person recovers at different stages no one person is the same, my advice is , exercise yes but build this up slowly, miss a day and go the next .

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks for you reply and you are actually quite correct. It is MAJOR surgery. What threw me off is my first hip last January was so easy. This left hip is the exact opposite I have been in a severe depression the last few weeks. It is awful

• Posted

If it's any consolation, depression hit me really hard to the point of trying taking my life, that's how bad I was with the pain, coming off work and not been able to get my life on track, that was two years ago and I can say now I'm just about ok,

Try to think positive and dont be afraid to ask for some help from your family and friends, I bottled up how I felt, but unfortunately that's what we men do, we don't talk, I've learned a lot since then, but I wish you all the best I can , and listen to what your body is telling you and you will be fine I promise.

Don't let the black dog get the better of you. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Thank you. This has been so hard, I am usually so strong and resilient, but this pain is really wearing on my. I want people around, but I don't want people around. Everyday I try harder not to let it get to me. This last three weeks have been awful.

• Posted

Hi Marianne,

You have had a big operation, it is still healing inside. The scar you can see is healing probably faster than inside, you will feel lots of twinges, pulling etc., for a few weeks. I used to feel like I was sitting on a rolled up towel, that lasted for 2 - 3 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.