scared

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have to admit I am a bit scared which obviously isn't helping matters. The doctor told me yesterday that I had ectopic beats and has referred me to the hospital for a 24hr monitor. 

They started last week and some days are better than others. One of the main issues is that we were supposed to be flying to America in four weeks to visit friends and if course this has made me even more anxious, thinking that they wont let me go. 

Has anyone got any tips on how to stop these damn things. Will they go away on their own? 

I had a really good day yesterday but this morning is not so good. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Best advise your travel insurance company about them although they are not life threatening as they do not like clients awaiting any kind of cardiac testing.
  • Posted

Andy,

Ectopic beats are a scary, and oftentimes a misunderstood issue.  Yes, they can and may very well go away on their own.  Many different things can contribute to or cause these erratic and upsetting beats.  Stress is one of them, if you experience

stress on a regular basis, these beats can stay with you for quite a while, while other possible contributing factors such as congenital heart defects, heart attacks, metabolic disruption, too much caffeine intake.,etc may take a little more investigation by the treating doctor to possibly determine which one is actually causing them.  You will probably be allowed to travel abroad, provided you are not found to have a high degree of these beats, because that would prompt further medical evaluation, and you would probably not want to be traveling if they should suddenly get worse now, would you?  Do let me know how you make out, I'm sure everything will be all right.  Take care.

• Posted

Whenever the ambulance took me to hospital, the first thing they would always do was to connect me to a Potassium drip, so maybe eat a lot of bananas. The heart needs potassium and I think magnesium for the electrical pathways to work properly. Unless of course you are already eating too many bananas, I think you can also have problems with too much potassium?, Google it, but it could be a start.
    • Posted

There is a world wide disease threatening bananas!
    • Posted

At one time I worked near a banana warehouse and some strange creatures used to come out of the crates.
  • Posted

I have AF, I am on Verapamil to regular this, get ectopic beats, the doctor say nobody has died of this, but it is alarming, worrying about this makes it worse. Go by your GP, he might refer you to a cardiologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.