Scared

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just got the word today that I have an ascending aortic aneurysm and have no clue as to how serious this is and how they fix things like this can anyone help me

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You are not alone. Many of us here have it too. 

It is a scary and serious condition. That's a fact. But, once you allow yourself time to accept it and learn about it, it gets easier to continue with your life. 

Did they tell you the size?

• Posted

Hi Robin,

I was diagnosed with the sand in mid-July. Mine measures 5.3cm.  My husband and I are in the midst of building a home in a rural area and I didn't want to make that move knowing that I'd never make it to a hospital if o suffered a rupture. I learned that females are often considered a candidate for surgery at 5.0cm.  Also, I've been having intermittent mild pains in my left chest, which are impossible to ignore, although my surgeon doesn't think they are the aneurysm. They keep me almost constantly on edge. For these reasons, I'm having an angiogram on Monday and surgery on October 9th. I have mild aortic valve regurgitation as well, which hopefully might resolve once the tension on the valve from my aorta is released.  I hadn't read any forums until tonight...I'm looking for information on what to expect after surgery. 

• Posted

Hello Robin,

I had AAA open surgery in May. I found out I had an aneurysm about 6 weeks before that. During a routine physical my family doctor suspected an aneurysm. After it was confirmed with a sonogram , he referred me to vascular surgeon. Meeting with the surgeon is when I stated getting answers on seriousness, treatments, etc.

Have you met with a surgeon?

• Posted

Hi Robin

you are dfinitely not alone. I found out I had a 4.9cm aneurysm a little over 9 months ago. I made the decision to have it repaired. it was done thru open heart surgery and I'm feeling great now.the recovery wasn't quick but I needed the peace of mind which is why I opted to have it out.  Most surgeons say to wait until its over 5.0 cm.

did your doctor say how large the aneurysm is?

• Posted

Hi Robin!  I want to encourage you by letting you know my husband is a survivor of two Ascending Aortic Aneurysms. The first AAA actually ruptured and he had a titanium aortic valve replacement - way back in 1990.  The second surgery was 2012 and was so much safer and easier to recover from. He is now 63 and healthy and happy.  Blessings and healing to you!  
    • Posted

Wifey2Mikey, this is so great to hear. I get depressed about my AAA a LOT but stories like yours keep me going. Glad your husband is doing so well. That's awesome! 

Thanks for sharing. 👍🏻👏🏼??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.