Scared

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi can you tell me your experience on having MRI scan done I've got to have one and I'm scared I don't like enclosed spaces is it is it that bad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillian. I had an MRI of my head and neck and I was really freaking about it but it was totally ok - bit noisy but not really claustrophobic at all. Depends which part of the body you have to have scanned etc. It's honestly not as bad as you think it will be.

• Posted

I've got to have mine on my spine from top to bottom did it take long for yours

• Posted

Cant remember exactly how long but probably about 15 minutes, again I guess it depends on how much of you they are scanning. It's also not as enclosed as I thought it would be - given that they were scanning my head and neck I thought it would be suffocating but it really wasnt as bad as I'd imagined.

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

I've also had an MRI. It was of my chest. I was dreading it too, but it was really not as bad as I expected. the space is not as tight as I thought it was going to be. You can usually request some music of your choice to be played which helps with the noise. I just closed my eyes and focused on the music. you are given a button in your hand that you can press if you need to, and having that also reassured me.

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

it was a couple of years ago and I really can't remember. If it had been a stressful experience I would have remembered.

• Posted

No i was really scared and also hate enclosed spaces .

Best thing to wear a blindfold and to listen to favourite CD

• Posted

Well, it is a very tight space. Depending on what part of your body you are having scanned? If you go in feet first, for parts of your legs or lower back, it isn't bad since your head isn't inside. If you have to have your whole spine done, then you go in further. They give you a headset to listen to music for the noise and probably for a distraction. You have to lay still. I always close my eyes. It's just a loud sound. You should be fine.

• Posted

I don't know for sure but I think the machines are not as confining as they used to be. i had MRI of both hands with and without contrast dye and so I was freaking out when the doc told me that it would take 2 hoursI am a bit on the claustrophobic side so I asked for a mild sedative before having it done. That caused me to fall asleep and so I moved in there--not to do that or you start again. At any rate the medicine was not needed as I didn't find it to be all that bad. By then the medicine had worn off and I was fine. It's loud though in there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.